Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Windows a twin

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Walther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows a twin

I have plans for an 85" Piper Senaca twin that I need to make widows for, anyone have an easy way to do this?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 AM
skylark-flier

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on whether you're building it as just a "flying plane" or as a scale project, on a recent restoration of an old Goldberg Eaglet I just used transparent monokote. Worked like a charm. She's certainly no "project" plane though.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty broad question and doesn't really identify what part you're having trouble with. You can order clear plastic windshield material from SIG. Probably a thickness of .030 would be appropriate for an 85" plane. Make a cardboard template for the windshield and keep adjusting the shape until the cardboard fits properly. Then use the cardboard template to cut the clear plastic. Side windows should be straight forward. RC56 or Formula 560 to glue them in or small (#0) self tapping machine screws from microfasteners or RTL can be used to secure the windshield. The plastic cuts well with scissors if thin enough or score the thicker plastic with an exact knife and bend back and forth to separate.

If the windshield or windows have complex/compound curves, you may need to vacuum form the windows over a male plug of the correct shape.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the plastic from K&S then used the knock outs and shucks from the wood sheet the parts were removed from. Heated the plastic, laid it over the sheet and pressed in the knock out. That shaped the windows when the plastic cooled.