Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Near lost choosing the right ESC and which motor for a 50" scratch Kadet....

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Near lost choosing the right ESC and which motor for a 50" scratch Kadet....

Old 04-11-2015, 04:50 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Near lost choosing the right ESC and which motor for a 50" scratch Kadet....

I've got the plans and have bought all the balsa already to build my first electric 50" taildragger. It'll be a reduced 50" Sig Seniorita with ailerons. (reduced down from the original 63") The plane should finish out between 33-38 ounces ready to fly.

I'm choosing a 2100mah 3S 11.1V 20C LiPo battery, and Futaba s3114 micro Servos...if that seems alright to you.
Now the ESC is really what I need help with! I have no clue what to choose. I believe I'll need a 35Amp, but that's all I know, because there's a million kinds of specs and ratings on these things that I'm not familiar with.

I like the ratings on these two Suppo motors, but I'm still not sure if I should go with a Suppo 2814/8, or a 2814/6 (the 2814/8 is basically rquivalent to an Eflite 480 or a Turnigy 35-36). The stats are below, and I'm not sure which will work better for this plane.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

Specification
[TABLE="width: 99%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]No. Of cells[/TD]
[TD]RPM/V[/TD]
[TD]Max. efficiency current[/TD]
[TD]NoLoad current /10 V[/TD]
[TD]Current capacity[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ni-MH[/TD]
[TD]Li-Poly[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A2814/6[/TD]
[TD]7-10[/TD]
[TD]2-3[/TD]
[TD]1410 KV[/TD]
[TD]18 - 30 A (>75%)[/TD]
[TD]2.1 A[/TD]
[TD]40 A/60s[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A2814/8[/TD]
[TD]8-12[/TD]
[TD]3-4[/TD]
[TD]1000 KV[/TD]
[TD]15 - 25 A (>75%)[/TD]
[TD]1.8 A[/TD]
[TD]35 A/60s[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Max. efficiency[/TD]
[TD]Shaft diameter (mm)[/TD]
[TD]Weight with cables[/TD]
[TD]Internal Resistance[/TD]
[TD]Dimensions (mm)[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A2814/6[/TD]
[TD]80%[/TD]
[TD]4 mm[/TD]
[TD]100 g[/TD]
[TD]50 mΩ[/TD]
[TD]35x36[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A2814/8[/TD]
[TD]81%[/TD]
[TD]4 mm[/TD]
[TD]100 g[/TD]
[TD]72 mΩ[/TD]
[TD]35x36[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD]Recomended model weight[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Recomended prop without gearbox[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A2814/6[/TD]
[TD]1000 - 1900 g[/TD]
[TD]7 cells 11"x7"[/TD]
[TD]8 cells 10"x7"[/TD]
[TD]10 cells (3s Li-Poly) 9.5"x5"[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

And
finally.....

Choosing the right prop will be another issue for me to decide on another day! That should be easier to figure out once I know which motor and ESC to go with. Ya think? LOL
Thanks in advance for your input gents.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 PM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say the 1000 kv motor is the way to go. Under load with a full battery, you'll be turning a solid 11k rpm, which will let you choose some of the larger diameter props to pull that draggy airframe around. The 1400 kv motor will be around 16k, requiring you to prop down a lot. It would make sense for a 2 cell setup, but there's no reason I can see to go that route. If you keep the amp draw around 15-18, you'll have plenty of power for a 38 ounce airframe with very nice run times. You might even consider going down to a 1500 mah battery to save some weight and still be able to fly for 10 minutes on a charge assuming you don't stay full throttle the whole time.