Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New to buying, need any help I can get!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New to buying, need any help I can get!

Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 AM
thom9650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to buying, need any help I can get!

I am part of a team that builds RC airplanes to compete and the team only have on sort of competent pilot. We'd like to train everyone on the team to fly so that if a crash occurs, pilot-error can be ruled out. I am having trouble finding the trainer airplane that fits all of my qualifications and I was wondering if anyone more experience than I could help me.

We need an airplane that:
  • Has 3 control surfaces (Aileron, Rudder, Elevator)
  • Is cheap as we'd like to have multiple
  • Is preferably foam

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:23 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Have a look at the sticky threads at the top in the Beginners forum. It includes a list of available trainers. There are also threads on specific models.

You might also look into getting a flight simulator that uses a transmitter style controller. This helps a lot esp. with the problem of control reversal when flying towards you.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:47 PM
GREG DOE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't say where you are in school. It's possible that you could get some hands on local help. For example if you lived near me I'd be happy to teach you on one of my airplanes. That way we could sort out the slow learners, from the fast ones. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for suggestions. Someone here will try to help.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

For a foam trainer with R/E/A controls, the E-Flite Apprentice is probably one of the better ones. As far as "cheap" is concerned, everyone has their own definition, so I can't help you there.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I take it you're doing one of the heavy lift contests that some of the big manufacturers sponsor around the country? Your best bet will be to get with a local club and ask for help. Don't be like 90% of the people who compete in these things and start thinking that you know enough about airplanes to teach yourself how to fly. My club sponsors a very big heavy lift contest every other year, and I have watched many teams lose their planes due to rookie flying errors. Most clubs have a training time set aside, and many of them have trainer planes for students to use. That also lets you meet some experienced pilots who would probably be willing to do your test flights and make suggestions on improvements to your design.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 PM
countilaw

The Sig Senior Kadet is what you are looking for. It's not foam so it should last awhile.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 AM
raptureboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 responses and no reply from the OP. Hmmmmm Tons of foamy trainers out there, a visit to the local Hobbytown is all you need.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:23 PM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've talked with a lot of guys doing these contests. If he even logs back in to see what responses he's gotten, he'll probably just argue with us and then go buy something completely different than what we've suggested. Some of the teams who show up at these events are solid guys who have a good future in engineering, and some are just trying to do the bare minimum required to check the boxes required for graduation. I watched a team matching the latter description maiden their plane the day before the event last time I volunteered. Yes, that's right, they had dragged around all year and only finished building their first prototype the week before the event. They had traveled over 1,000 miles to the contest only to watch the treeline turn their plane into confetti about 20 seconds into the maiden. Hopefully the OP is not one of those guys, but many of them are.