Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Question for Barstow California RC pilots.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Question for Barstow California RC pilots.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:17 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question for Barstow California RC pilots.

How many flying fields do you guys have out there? Are the wind conditions usually favorable for flying?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 AM
AllModesR/C

Nobody from that area on here?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 PM
AwwNaww

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have an answer directly for you, as I don't live there. I drive through a lot and my experience is that it is often quite windy (and dusty) but I often wish I had a plane with me. There is sooooo much space, I am not sure that a purpose made field is required.....just pull off onto a side road and thence into the desert. Lots of room.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago (1979) I flew RC targets at Ft. Irwin near Barstow. The winds typically picked up later in the day and into the evenings. Mornings were often cool and calm.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM
AwwNaww

Maybe you can go to the web and find a local hobby shop and give them a call. Barstow is actually a fairly large community and I am sure there must be some folk flying R/C.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:13 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a pretty active member here from Barstow, surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.

shoot him a PM
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/members/flycatch.html

good luck
Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

http://vvrcf.org/

There is VVRC's beautiful new field in Hesperia and There is some activity at Rabbit dry Lake. located along the old highway from Victorville to twentynine palms. I have flown at both places as well as VVRC's old field in the middle of Victorville and its typical high desert for the entire region with medium to high winds most days but often early AM windows of nice conditions.

I don't think you find a hobby shop anywhere in the entire Barstow Victor Valley areas. May even have to drop down into the Cajon Pass to the basin for that. But as the fellows have stated Its easy to find a solitary spot but that gets really old really fast.

John
Old 11-26-2015, 09:32 AM
KW_Counter

Have you tried looking on the AMA sight?

KW_Counter
Old 11-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Bruckner is basically correct. The two best options are the Victor Valley RC club near Hesperia Lakes (http://www.vvrcf.org/) and Rabbit dry lake in Lucerne Valley. People also fly at El Mirage dry lake but I understand there is a fee for access.

Mornings are your best bet for avoiding high winds. Rabbit often gets winds of 25-40 mph so you have to watch the forecast. The wind on the lakebed can be very much different from everywhere else - better or worse. The VV RC club has, usually, more favorable wind conditions.

I am told by people who fly at the Calico dry lake that you need a permission letter in your possession or you may be asked to leave by local authorities. There are, apparently, only a handful of folks who have these and I don't know what you have to do to get one.

There is a Hobby People on Main St in Hesperia.

Last edited by Thud_Driver; 11-26-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:19 PM
AllModesR/C

Thanks everyone.