Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

FPV Worthy Canopy for Great Planes Cherokee

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

FPV Worthy Canopy for Great Planes Cherokee

Old 05-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Masso172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FPV Worthy Canopy for Great Planes Cherokee

Hi guys,

I ordered an FPV system for my Great Planes Cherokee and I would like to install the camera inside the canopy on the pilot's side and move the pilot figure to the co-pilot's side, although I am running into a problem.. The windshield has a certain opaqueness, so I am expecting this to make the image blurry when seen though the FPV screen, as if the camera was out of focus.

Is there a way that I can polish the plastic windshield to a completely clear finish? or perhaps make an entirely new canopy with Lexan but this would be much more work..

Anybody out there that could give me advice with this? Thanks. I have included some pictures of the plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0865.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	991.2 KB
ID:	2099821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0866.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	953.5 KB
ID:	2099822  

Last edited by Masso172; 06-06-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Masso172

bump...
Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

My advice would be to pick a more appropriate airplane for the mission, That ship is a very poor choice. First there is no way to avoid the poor optics of a typical molded windshield with double compound curves. You will only avoid this by replacing with a flat sheet cobbled up and of course that won,t look cool. Another option would be to mount the camera externally on top.

Also remember when the camera is facing forward from the pilots POV there will be no way to avoid the annoying stroboscopic effect from the propeller.

Stepping away for the moment and even forgetting that camera stuff, that propeller looks ridiculously oversized for the small cylinder sticking out. What size is the engine and what size is the prop? Is this your very first airplane and has it flown?

John
Old 06-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Masso172

Oh about that prop heh... This airplane currently runs on diesel or Jet A fuel so the recommended prop for this engine the way it is, is 12x6. The engine is an OS. 46 diesel. And unfortunately I have been able to fly it just a few times.

I have been flying for several years now and I have another gas airplane and the rest are small electrics.

The reason I chose this airplane for my fpv is because I want to create the full experience of flying for example, I want to see the prop in front of me, the nose and even the sound of the engine with the help of a mic just like a real aircraft.

I'm not doing any serious long distance flight I'm just flying around under 400' up to 2 km max just for the love of flying.

So the only thing that's making me worried is the appearance from behind my current windshield. I'm just curious if there's a way I can polish it. Again I want to have all these things (prop canopy nose etc) showing through the camera just for full effect.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Masso172

Like this :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_12825-maxresdefault-668366890.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2101300  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

I have never heard of a diesel converstion for an OS .46 that would function on diesel or Jet A rather than a conventional kero mix for model engines. Is it a Davis Diesel head?

To answer you question I believe that any polishing attempt on that molded windshield will only make it worse. The picture you posted does not illustrate the obnoxious stroboscopic effect of the propellor There are hundreds perhaps more vidios all over the internet that include this effect and anytime that occurs I will usually shut it off.

Perhaps you do not realize that flying your airplane two kilometers away is in direct conflict with AMA rules on the activity and to fly FPV as an AMA member It must be within line of visual sight at all times and there is present a safety pilot with buddy cord. I too love flying and our ability to do so with such freedoms but those who disregard this can ruin it for all of us.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 06-07-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Masso172

Yes it is a Davis diesel head and it runs on the kerosene mix you mentioned. Kerosene is the same thing as jet-a and diesel, with their variations being fuel density. I happen to use jet a which I can buy from my ex boss at the fbo I used to work at, it is cheaper per gallon than kerosene at home Depot.

Anyway Ill abide by the rules of fpv I'm not gonna ruin anything for anyone, I do paid research on drone technology as well so I am thoroughly briefed on that...

I just want to have a system I can enjoy for myself and it being unrelated to my job. happy flying

Last edited by Masso172; 06-07-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Masso172

Sorry I just want to make this work and I know it's possible, I don't have a time constraint for this one, so if it comes down to it I guess I can vacuum form another canopy from lexan.

Last edited by Masso172; 06-07-2015 at 08:43 PM.