Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

employment

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

At the ripe old age of 60, I too am no longer in demand. I am really glad my parents raised me to be a saver, and to pay cash as often as possible. No work, but no debts. To anyone starting out I recommend they save 20 percent and adjust their lifestyle accordingly.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chris923
Right now, if you lived in the Southeast Wisconsin area ( Milwaukee, Racine , Kenosha) wilth the proper certifications and 5 years experience, you could write your own ticket. There is such a shortage the Tech schools have 2 shifts of classes going. Students have jobs before training ends. Starting 45k with benefits. I talk to a guy ( master welder) your age several mos back that work for a company for 30 years, got an offer to 120k 5 week vac and benefits.
Good Luck on finding a job!
I hear North and South Dakota too. Of course if you are from the southern part of the US moving to 6 feet of snow is not very enticing.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM
HOT COALS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I KNOW THIS THRED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR HOBBY. BUT I FIND IT TO BE GOOD THERAPY, FOR SOME TO LET OFF SOME FRUSTRATIONS. AS A RC MODLER FOR 40 Yrs, THIS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR TO SHOW WHAT EXPERIENCE WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED. AND TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR OUR FELLOW MODLER'S. I WORKED FOR A COMPANY FOR OVER 40Yrs AS A TRUCK DRIVER. COMPANY DECIED TO DOWN SIZE. AND LET ALL COMPANY DRIVERS GO. AND HIRE OUT SIDE DRIVERS . FOR LEST MONEY. MY POINT IS TO BE THEIR FOR OUR FELLOW RC MODLER'S. AND SUPPORT OUR HOBBY THE BEST WAY, WE CAN. AT 78 Yrs OLD I AM STILL LEARNING NEW THING'S. WHEATHER IT BE OUR HOBBY, OR OTHER WISE.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM
CafeenMan

My advice to everyone is look in medical. There are tons of jobs that just can't be outsourced and many jobs require only a high school diploma and some even a GED is ok.

Where I work there are always hundreds of job openings. That's everything from Technician-level jobs (high school) to nurses and doctors. We're always hiring. And we hire all ages.

Everyone I know who can't find a job doesn't want a job badly enough. They want the job they want and won't take other jobs. My neighbor was unemployed for three years. About every three months he would ask me again for the information about my company. I know he never even looked at the website. I wrote it down for him over and over again.

The jobs are hard work. He just didn't want to do it. He wanted to do the work he wanted to do. He finally found it and all he does is complain about his job which is super-irritating. He finally has a job after three years and the petty stuff he complains about just sounds to me like he doesn't want to work at all.

Anyway, look for medical jobs if you really want a job. If you don't have a degree then you're looking for things like Registration Clerk and Technician. Some technician jobs require certifications. The job boards will tell you if there are requirements. If it says, "Bachelor preferred but not required" it probably means they don't want to pay for it and don't care if you don't have it and you should apply for it.

Plus medical jobs start at decent pay and have full benefits.

BTW, I'm talking about real brands, HCA, etc., and hospitals, not local clinics. I don't know how those are as I've never worked in one.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I happened to be in the hospital for a few days a week ago. Two of my nurse assistants over the three day period were from Africa - one of them seemed ot be in training. I don't think I'd say those jobs are NOT being outsourced. Remember, both parties are trying very hard to triple the number of STEM workers in this country through the H1-B visa program. This isn't meant to be political but rather to counter the argument that these jobs "can't be outsourced". They can and they are.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM
CafeenMan

Whatever.... you're not going to Africa for medical care.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:12 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by jeffo
Aspeed,I got in a debate with a client once,he told me that he only pays 28.00 per hour.I told him how can you pay the Ford dealer 118.00 per hour to a guy who just swaps old parts with new parts,when I have a couple hundred thousand dollars in machinery, tools,and building.Needless to say no work from that guy.jeffo
The Ford dealer charges $118.00/hr but that's not what the mechanic gets. That mechanic needs a space to do his work. He generally gets a benefit package, the building needs to be heated, cooled, powered and cleaned. It's called "overhead" and that applies to every company on the planet. Oh -- and let's not forget a bit of profit in there as well. Being sidelined from a job sucks big time (been there twice). But the best advice I can give younger folks is always keep your eye on the ball. If you think for a minute that you couldn't possibly be let go, you are sadly mistaken. You also need to keep abreast of your profession. Not much call for typewriter repairmen these days is there. You always need a plan "B" and should you see your career field taking a left turn get on the ball and change your career --- yes --- even if it means going back to school. For those of you who are 50+ consider that you have experience, lots of it, in your profession. Start your own company -- especially if it is service oriented. There are lots of advocacy groups available for you to talk with for advice on starting a company. I did it myself and it doesn't cost a lot of money to organize as an LLC or sub chapter S corporation. If you are not employed within 6 months you should be looking at a new plan. I know these are rather harsh words but you need to be realistic and flexible.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was given the ole pink slip just 3 days after 9/11 happened. Funny thing is that I was a pilot. Wanna talk about a SOB of a company ?

Anyways I was 58 1/2 years old and thought, who would hire me now ? But surprisingly because of my years of experience and hours in Dassault Falcon aircraft, I started to receive offers of employment. Big problem was that none of the positions being offered were in cities or areas that I really cared to live, also who really feels like pulling up stakes and chasing jobs all over the good ole USA.

I sat around for a couple of months thinking do I really want to go cross country and continue to fly, just to make some rich jerk happy ? Finally decided after sitting down to review my monies situation and said the hell with this crap, I am going to retire.

Yes I did have some help with bonds, some inheritance and savings. And I did have to take my SS at age 62. But my decision was made in 2001, fourteen years ago ! And I now have more in my savings account than what I had 14 years ago. When you have to, you can make the numbers work for you.

Looking back at my parents and what this country offered them I feel is now lost to history. My father retired from General Electric with 39 years of service and my mother retired from the same company with 25 years service. Now, try showing me a company that keeps their employees in this day and age, that many years. Or even an employee that will choose to stay with the same company for that length of time.

One final note of which some may agree and some may not, I really do not care. But I firmly believe whether the person be male or female, upon graduation from High School that all should be required to spend 2 years in the military, where I feel that todays generation may do a lot of growing up, because what I see out there, they truly need it . After your two years in the military, then decide what you want to be and where you want to be it.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I hear North and South Dakota too. Of course if you are from the southern part of the US moving to 6 feet of snow is not very enticing.
Neither is a bread line !
Old 06-15-2015, 08:03 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My thoughts and no intention of trolling:

We've become a service oriented society in the USA. Manufacturing has nearly ceased. However I feel that the trend will reverse for 2 reasons:
1) As we pump money into foreign nations to pay them cheaply for labor, the economies of those countries will grow and the eventually the overhead of outsourcing will not be worth it.
2) As robotics, CNC, and 3D technologies advance, it will be cheaper to have the manufacturing done in the USA. However, we wont have machinist, we'll have programmers, technicians, and mathematicians. This has been the trend for a long time now and manual machining, while I have the upmost respect for it, is a dying trade.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:34 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
The Ford dealer charges $118.00/hr but that's not what the mechanic gets. That mechanic needs a space to do his work. He generally gets a benefit package, the building needs to be heated, cooled, powered and cleaned. It's called "overhead" and that applies to every company on the planet. Oh -- and let's not forget a bit of profit in there as well. Being sidelined from a job sucks big time (been there twice). But the best advice I can give younger folks is always keep your eye on the ball. If you think for a minute that you couldn't possibly be let go, you are sadly mistaken. You also need to keep abreast of your profession. Not much call for typewriter repairmen these days is there. You always need a plan "B" and should you see your career field taking a left turn get on the ball and change your career --- yes --- even if it means going back to school. For those of you who are 50+ consider that you have experience, lots of it, in your profession. Start your own company -- especially if it is service oriented. There are lots of advocacy groups available for you to talk with for advice on starting a company. I did it myself and it doesn't cost a lot of money to organize as an LLC or sub chapter S corporation. If you are not employed within 6 months you should be looking at a new plan. I know these are rather harsh words but you need to be realistic and flexible.
In 1985 myself and a large group of employees were given their pink slips. The company called it downsizing.
What the company did do was bring in a JOB COUNSELOR to help people with resumes and avenues to take in looking for a new job.
I will never to this day forget the very first question that this counselor asked our group.

His question was: WHEN DO YOU START LOOKING FOR YOUR NEXT JOB ?
Everybody was at a loss for a reply.
Counselors reply and answer was: YOU START LOOKING FOR YOUR NEXT JOB, THE VERY FIRST DAY OF YOUR NEW JOB !!!!!! AS YOU DO NOT OWE ANYBODY, ANYTHING !!!

Made sense to me back then and still makes sense to me today.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats true JP , COMPANYS just stockpile databases , and dont even check them . you have to get lucky
or know someone.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The good jobs are always filled with personal connections. If a company is putting want ads out in the newspaper or using monster.com, they are either desperate or the job isn't very good. It actually speaks poorly of management IMO when they are at a loss as to who to hire to fill new vacancies.

I was told this a few years ago in college, and I wish I could have understood then like I do now. They said your degree is just a checkmark. It won't get you jobs. If you send out resumes for the best jobs and all you can put on it is that you have a degree, even with a 4.0, your resume goes straight to the trash can. So they said get your degree, but focus on building your resume. The resume will get you the job. The only other problem you have then is getting a hiring manager or committee to read your resume and give you an interview. What does that is connections. They explained you have to know people and have them know you to get the best jobs, because nobody gets an interview for the best jobs without someone recommending them. Rarely do people get interviews who ask for them; usually those who get interviews were actually pursued by the company based on a recommendation from someone they trust. So more than anything else it's the personal network and having impressed people before with the quality of your work and your workplace behavior that ensure job security going forward.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One final note of which some may agree and some may not, I really do not care. But I firmly believe whether the person be male or female, upon graduation from High School that all should be required to spend 2 years in the military, where I feel that todays generation may do a lot of growing up, because what I see out there, they truly need it . After your two years in the military, then decide what you want to be and where you want to be it.

I tend to agree but on the flip side of this statement, would you really want to give these politicians a standing Army?? How did it work out last time??
After being medically retired for decades I tried to get back into some part time work in either of my fields, printing and as a dental lab tech. Printing is now all digital and most everything is done on one or two machines and now most of the dental lab work is done in the dentist office on a machine, it's done in minutes where it took me a couple days.
No work there so I tried something different, old crippled peoples jobs are out there if your willing to work any hours and days. I got what I wanted, a couple nights a week on the grave shift as a gate guard. Boring as can be but it's easy work and they give me money to do it. The other guards are happy I'm there because I will work there shifts for them when they need the time off.
Gives me a reason to get up in the morning too.
The parts of my trades I worked so hard at learning are for the most part gone these days so it was just time to try something different. Skill and manufacturing are almost a complete thing of the past.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The military would be a good for a lot of undisciplined youngsters, but I wouldn't say all of them. I was a sub in the local high schools this year and would say about 1/3 of the seniors are essentially useless- lazy, arrogant, spoiled, sensitive, and unemployable. A good drill sergeant would do wonders for them. Most of the rest will rise to expectations, which is why they don't do much in high school but will probably do fine in the working world.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 AM
CafeenMan

I spent almost 10 years in the military and it amazed me how much people could get away with and stay in. It amazed me how much people could get away with and get promoted. Some people I worked with never did their jobs at all. They made their full time job doing what they had to do to get promoted and it worked because nobody in the chain of command wanted to be the bad guy and put a blemish on their record since none of these folks were out there actually doing "bad" things. They were just bad soldiers and didn't do their jobs. But they weren't getting in trouble either. It was unbelievable to me.

I thought if there was one place on the planet that getting ahead was based on merit it would be the Army. It wasn't much different than corporate America.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRook
how many RC Modlers are unemployed ? unfortunatly i'm one , i got laid off last may , been a year , no one will
hire me a 59 year old ex welder and fabricator for 28 years . its tough out there , i did pick up a partime job
starting 6/22 , but its not much green , if you know what i mean.

tally ho
A long way away from "home" but i hear the oil fields in North Dakota need welders. That is a rumor and I never checked it out.

Ken
Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 2005 I quit the rat race and retired at 60. Was lucky enough to have money in the bank and market, got ssdi approved, and then finally VA comp for A.O. problems.
Rather not have the problems, though! Actually, the last few years I worked were really to leave my capitol intact, put as much as the law allowed into the IRA,
and to stay out of the house during the day!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly there are not a few federal employees that behave the same!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:44 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Chuckk2, I am in the same boat as you. Sometimes opportunities present themselves and you have to recognize them and then do something about it. When I was working I never gave thought to retirement. Then one day I received a notice that I was getting a TCMP tax audit. This is the mother of all audits. Every line is checked and you have to provide documentation for each entry. Also, they were coming to my home for the audit. It wasn't a pleasant feeling. Fortunately, they give you plenty of time to prepare. After months of providing infomation,answering questions and providing additional receipts that I found they owed me $800 plus dollars. Then they audited me for the next 3 years but all those were no change and they finally left me alone.

In preparation for that first audit, I learned all about the tax law n retirement plans. So I started planning a retirement. I took advantage of all catch up provisions and I started saving some money. I did not have to set aside lots of money because I had time as an ally. Time is your friend when planning a retirement.

Another opportunity that came my way was my re-entry into the military. By chance I met a recruiter who offered to bring me into the military at 2 pay grades higher than when I left active duty. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. Just luck and another good move. I made a career of the military.

I retired from employment at age 47. I never looked back and only looked forward. I moved from Florida to my green pastures in Texas. I have enjoyed every minute of retirement. Today everything I own is paid for. Credit cards I use to get me thru the month. Then they are paid in full plus I get the rewards. I'm not rich but certainly not poor.

As some of the members here have stated you have to Plan,Plan,Plan. Not easy to do but things will work better when you have a plan to follow. My prayers go out to those looking for work.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i spent 2 years in the A F at elmendorph afb in anchorage AK , and if i was going to go west it would be AK , but its just
too dang far away , just the cost of getting out there is insane .