Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

muffler bolts......

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

muffler bolts......

Old 06-25-2015, 06:13 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler bolts......

any one have a good idea as to keeping bolts tight........i have tryed red, blue and what ever other color there is made by lock tight...............any help would be great
Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 PM
foodstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can drill holes in the head of the bolts, and wire tie them together is probably the best.. might need to get socket head bolts.. This issue can be frustrating I KNOW !
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

The key to making Loctite work is to have both the bolt and the threaded hole (or nut) free of any oil. You must degrease them before Loctiting and assembling. On glo engine muffler bolts I also add a split type lockwasher and torque them good. It works for me, I don't have mufflers coming loose or falling off in flight. Safety wiring them would be nice but I haven't had to resort to that yet. Cross drilling these small bolt heads would be a major PITA! I use "blue" grade Loctite.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Most locktite will liquefy under heat.

A little bit of red RTV on the threads will usually make them stay put but be removable when the time comes.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trick is to fire up the engine and run it up hot then just tighten up the bolts while hot. That goes for the header pipes on engines too plus the jam nuts. I have never needed locktite.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do the same as Gray Beard
in all my aircraft, airplanes and helicopters. Never needed a thread compound to lock the threads after learning of this trick. Rafael
Old 07-01-2015, 03:56 AM
carlgrover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 52larry52 View Post
The key to making Loctite work is to have both the bolt and the threaded hole (or nut) free of any oil. You must degrease them before Loctiting and assembling. On glo engine muffler bolts I also add a split type lockwasher and torque them good. It works for me, I don't have mufflers coming loose or falling off in flight. Safety wiring them would be nice but I haven't had to resort to that yet. Cross drilling these small bolt heads would be a major PITA! I use "blue" grade Loctite.

This is what I do. I was told years ago to use carb cleaner to get both the bolt and the threaded hole clean.

carl
Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use acetone or rubbing alcohol to clean the bolt and internal threads before applying Loctite. A new engine will loosen a bit due to plastic deformation of the metal. It's a normal process that you can't do anything about. But after a few heat cycles, a properly tightened bolt should never unscrew itself. And by "properly tightened," I mean tight enough to stretch the bolt just a little but not tight enough that its stretch limit is reached when the engine is hot.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 AM
BarracudaHockey

Again, locktite is loosened with heat, unless you have the stuff made for headers there's no point in using it on one of our engines muffler bolts.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 PM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I disagree based on experience. I've removed muffler bolts multiple times that were Loctited in and had to break the bond loose to start turning them. Muffler bolts installed with Loctite have also been tight all the way out, indicating the adhesive has held up just fine.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 AM
BarracudaHockey

Try it when the motor is hot When it cools off it re-solidifies and makes them tough to come out again.

Hey do what works for you, but I've been through this a lot with helicopter pipes. Clean bolts that are snugged after the motor is warmed up is 90 percent of the time all that's required, in those instances that is insufficient, some red RTV will make them stay put.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:33 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Epoxy is also "loosened with heat". No matter what retainer system you use, the bolts must be properly torqued to start with.