Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuel proof paint

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel proof paint

Old 07-03-2015, 01:35 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel proof paint

Is Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint fuel proof

would like to paint the inside of the tank compartment
Old 07-04-2015, 04:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Doubtful it would stand up to a fuel leak. Epoxy finishing resin would be a better choice.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:17 AM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want one of the best fuel proof finishes, try KlassKote. It is a two part epoxy paint that goes on well with brush or gun, very durable, the only problem is that it is not cheap. Covers well, and IMHO worth every penny.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel proof with epoxy, I thin it down with 91% alcohol so it soaks in well. I paint with Klass Kote but it cost me as much to paint a 60 size plane as it does to build it. Good stuff though, just way over priced.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

After reading your post I tried an experiment. I painted a piece of slick cardboard with two different colors of Rustoleum. a light green and gray.Then with a couple minutes drying I put on a tan spot of Krylon.After about an hour of dry time I sprayed all the above with clear semi-gloss Minwax Polyurethane.After all this had dried about an hour I checked it and all was dry to the touch with NO sigh of incompatibility. The next day I covered all with 10 percent fuel. Again it showed no sign of any problem. After soaking for an hour I rubbed the whole mess with my finger and no runs or any other sign of a problem. I kept the paper for a week and it still showed no sign of any problem. In my view all these products will work together and be fuel proof. This worked for me but do as you see fit!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Gray Beard

Over the years the question of RustO and Krylon and PolyU have come up and what has been posted is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes one color or a batch works and sometimes it doesn't. Even has happened with TF Lustercrap and it's advertised hot Fuelproof up to 15% nitro. Hot fuelproof relates to exhaust though and not raw fuel. Just an FYI and we all do as we want.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 AM
tacx

I have been using Home Depots latex sample paints that they will custom color match. About $3.50 each. I wait a couple weeks then over spray with Topflite clear Lustrekote. Lustrekote is fuel proof.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-8-oz-220-UPW-Interior-Exterior-Paint-Sample-UL22016/205362565

Start with very, very light coats letting each coat dry a bit between coats. After three light coats I hit it with a final finish coat.

Has worked well for me so far.

Last edited by tacx; 07-06-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:49 AM
spaceworm

Has anyone tried Truevalue Décor acrylic high gloss enamel, and is it glow and gas fuel proof? if not, will Minwax water based spar polyurethane be compatible and fuel proof to both glow and gas fuel? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:58 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Nelson Paint. Water based, fuel proof to 40% nitro, applies with a foam brush and looks sprayed. Goes over anything. No fumes, no smell, thins and cleans up with tap water. Lots of colors including flats, camo and Monokote matching.

It's the best paint I've found.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:43 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Nelson Paint. ...
I already know about Nelson paint, and Lustercoat, and epoxy paint, and catalyzed polyurethane. Nelson paint is not what i asked about but thanks anyway.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Gray Beard

Space worm, most of the paints are gas proof but it's the glow fuel that is the big problem. Nitro is a great solvent! When they say Hot fuel proof it means the exhaust from the pipe, not the raw fuel.
Just buy a sample jar of the paint and test it yourself.
I always thought the deft sanding Lacquer sealer I used to glass with was fuel proof until I had a fuel tank rupture inside a plane, it isn't and the deft is only used in gas powered planes now!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:39 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by spaceworm View Post
Has anyone tried Truevalue Décor acrylic high gloss enamel, and is it glow and gas fuel proof? if not, will Minwax water based spar polyurethane be compatible and fuel proof to both glow and gas fuel? Thanks.
I haven't found the Minwax Polycryllic to be glow fuel proof. I have had good luck with Minwax Polyurethane, which is oil based. The Poly C does hold up to gas, however.

I don't recommend either, for sealing fuel compartments. For that, I use epoxy.

The Luscombe pictured below, was painted with Rustoleum aerosol cans. It's in the process of being clear coated with aerosol Minwax Polyurethane. The model will be glow powered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0226.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2167861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	2167862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0109.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	2167864  
Old 06-14-2016, 04:53 AM
carlgrover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Tom, where did you get that gun attachment for the spray can in the first picture?

carl
Old 06-14-2016, 06:12 AM
spaceworm

Thank you, I know about all of those , but I would like to know about WATER BASED MINWAX SPAR POLYURETHANE. Guess I might have to try it myself. Thanks again.

All of you Enjoy Father's Day this weekend.

Last edited by spaceworm; 06-14-2016 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Added "SPAR" to description.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:04 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by carlgrover View Post
hey Tom, where did you get that gun attachment for the spray can in the first picture?

carl
I bought the "gun" at Menards, near the Rustoleum display. I would assume that Home Depot and Lowe's carries them, too.

I
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by spaceworm View Post
Thank you, I know about all of those , but I would like to know about WATER BASED MINWAX SPAR POLYURETHANE. Guess I might have to try it myself. Thanks again.

All of you Enjoy Father's Day this weekend.
I missed the spar urethane part.

I have no experience with this product,

Last edited by TomCrump; 06-14-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM
jdmachinery

'Spar' varnish refers to the varnish containing UV - Ultraviolet light inhibitors that prevent sunlight degradation to the coating and whatever is below it. Great for sailboat spars & a Chris Craft wood boat, but no protection for methanol glow fuel or even gasoline that contains 10& ethanol.

Polyurethane is the stuff that is glow fuel proof. Oil based polyurethane clear is great for firewalls and engine compartments, very fuel proof for years. I accidently used water based clear polyurethane on an engine compartment but not yet tested on glow fuel.

The Interlux brand polyurethane paint marketed for boats offers many colors and is excellent glow fuel proof paint. I use the simple 1 part can, 2 part catalyst reacted must be even better but is overkill. Buy it at West Marine boat stores or Jamestown Distributors mail order. The classic boat hobby still has great resources supplying real oil based paints & varnishes.

FYI Polyurethane without the UV inhibitors is no good on sailboat wood spars, wood boats or anything outdoors in the sunlight
Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Generally speaking, water based polyurethane is no good for glow fuel unless it has a catalyst or crosslinker added to it. Systems 3 makes the Nelson paint and the warbird colors paint, and it works well. Lowe's isn't going to sell anything that will hold up to being soaked in glow fuel though.For fuel proofing engine compartments, you can't beat epoxy finishing resin. It is completely impervious to solvents, sticks well, and is very durable. In a pinch, you can use regular epoxy glue heated with a hair dryer to thin it so you can brush it.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:45 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just going by the original post with appliance epoxy. We have a two part epoxy in this country with the brand name of Klenks. They also carry an epoxy thinner that works well, and seems much like the old Hobbypoxy brand stuff, which I liked a lot. The colours are pretty basic, like white and bone or whatever, but it is quite fuelproof with nitro at least. It must be sprayed or brushed, it is not in a spray can. Some guys are using automotive two part clears over the household type latex paints for the monster models. I still prefer a solid colour that is fuelproof, like an epoxy with a lot of pigment, rather than more layers and an added clearcoat. Mostly because of weight. I think I will ask the neighbor who owns a body shop for nearly empty cans of coloured two part paints that are left over for a variety of colours. I just painted an engine compartment with some two part automotive urethane last night, and am pretty sure it will be fuelproof. I quickly tested a bit before.

Last edited by aspeed; 06-15-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:11 AM
rgburrill

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

IIRC the purpose of fuel proofing is to protect the wood. Using epoxy thinned with alcohol like Gramps suggests in the fuel compartment and on the firewall and using a fuel proof primer elsewhere then painting with Rustoleum works.