Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 peice wing

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 peice wing

hi
i am building a 80' wing chipmunk with a 35 cc motor ,i would like to make 2 peice wing for easy tranporting could i glue one side of the wing jointer in one wing and bolt the other side throw a accent panel , and then a bolt throw the rear accent panel and dowel pins in front and back for alinement of the wing and two dowel pins one on each wing half on the front that go into the body to hold the front in ,thanks
Old 07-04-2015, 12:53 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Once you assemble the two wing halves together with the joiner,now it's a one piece wing.Treat it the same as a one piece wing.jeffo
Old 07-04-2015, 03:28 AM
Jennifer Curtis

The drag from the wings is going to roughly equal the
thrust from the engine. The wing leading edge at the
center will not be joined, so be sure that there is
sufficient strength on both sides of the wing joiner
to prevent sliding apart. Also be sure there is
sufficient strength that bending of the wing spar w
ill not put leverage on the fuselage alignment pins
and break them.

A 35 cc engine has pretty good power, and the
associated airframe weight will put quite a bit
of force on wing attachments.

One piece wings are much more rigid than a
similarly built two piece wings. Extra building
is required for them to be equal.

Jenny
Old 07-04-2015, 04:19 AM
jester_s1

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If the plane is designed as a one piece wing, it likely depends on the strength of the sheeting and covering in the middle to hold up. Most planes that size with 2 piece wings have a carbon tube to join the wings. That would be a pretty big mod to make, IMO. You may come out better with a 3 piece wing where you can use the strong center section as is and plug the wing halves into it.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:16 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by rye View Post
hi
i am building a 80' wing chipmunk with a 35 cc motor ,i would like to make 2 peice wing for easy tranporting could i glue one side of the wing jointer in one wing and bolt the other side throw a accent panel , and then a bolt throw the rear accent panel and dowel pins in front and back for alinement of the wing and two dowel pins one on each wing half on the front that go into the body to hold the front in ,thanks
I suspect the original construction details would require wrapping the wing join with a strip of glasscloth and coating with epoxy. This is what gives the join it's strength.

IMHO the method you suggest above would be fairly weak and a wing fold likely the first time you pulled G.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

that's what I suspected so I'm just going to bite the bullet and just glue it together gonna have to build a rack to carry the wing so it's dont fall out of the back with the back window open thanks for help guys

Last edited by rye; 07-04-2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 07-04-2015, 08:10 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

I did it with an 84" Midwest AT-6 with no issues. Added a large aluminum wing tube at the front spar location and a smaller aluminum tube at the rear spar location. The tubes spanned just the flat center section. Wing tubes would likely not work well for the chipmunk since the dihedral break is very close to the fuselage sides (no room for a long enough tube). However, shallow "V"-shaped wing joiners made from aluminum or aircraft ply would work just fine. I would put them at both the front and rear spar locations.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 AM
wnewbury

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My assumption is that a 2 piece power wing would be large - over 80". So I would be tempted to use struts. That should bring the strength back to equal a one piece wing.