Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Quads aka Drones

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Quads aka Drones

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quads aka Drones

Looked for a place discussing these but finally ended up here. I was given a small quad and it is a bear. Do you really need a larger one to have more control or am I just that inept. lol Do not have much time with the planes, soloed and flew for a year then it seemed started getting worse, like the learning curve has started down and is accelerating. Intro the quad, Will not stay in one place long enough to start learning. Should I just get a larger one? Ok enough confusing for now , old guy with slow reactions will quite for now and see if there are any takers on this rant. . . gphil
Old 08-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean by "more control"? If the quad responds quickly to control application, you likely have all the control you need.

Small quads do not have the internal systems that will hold station. You must fly them constantly. They will always tend to drift off one way or the other. Picture yourself balancing on top of a ball. That's what the quad is doing...balancing on top of a ball or column of air. The lower-cost ones have only enough stability augmentation to make them flyable, and maybe with high and low rates for the controls.

For quads that will fly "hands off", you'll need to spend well over $100.00 for ones that will stay where you last put them. Those quads have control systems that you tell which way to move and they stop when you let go of the sticks. Spend a few hundred bucks and you'll start getting the ones with higher-level stability systems.

Last edited by Bax; 08-26-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 AM
gphil

Miss phrased the "more control." The higher priced ones , as you mentioned, will stay in one spot allowing you to think where you want to go next. The one I have says gyros but touchy. The early helicopters full sized I took some lessons in and you described it to a "T" Like trying to balance you butt in a basket, on a basket ball with a broom handle. Then came the hydraulics which meant think the direction and it would go. Thanks , just going to look into a more upgrade model. . . gphil
Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 AM
gphil

Bax, have suggestions????? gphil
Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What do you have now, gphill? Your quad may really be too small or too poor quality to fly well, but then again it may be a setup problem or a technique problem. I have the 5 inch Blade quad and I find it very easy to fly with full control inside the house. So small doesn't necessarily mean difficult if it's good quality and working properly.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 AM
gphil

Jester, early here right now but before the morning is out will go to shack and see what the name is of my quad. Short memory now days... I cannot keep it still enough to even trim, if indeed it needs it. It is small about 1100.00 price and was given to me as a gift. I put it back into the box. Charges off the computer jack. I think it has some gyro use but not sure. May want to get one like yours. when you say five inch are you talking about the length of the blades? Mine are little ... Ok enough about nothing here for you to work with but will be back. Do let me know what you have. gphil
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$1,100.00 will buy you quite a large drone with GPS, camera, and a very good stability system. If yours is not very stable, and cannot be trimmed to minimize drift, you may need to talk to the maker of the product.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to think the 1100.00 price is a typo. I'll bet he intended to type $100.00. Just a guess. Also a question for gphil ; back to your airplane flying....you said that after soloing your flying "seemed starting getting worse". You also referred to yourself as an "old guy". From another old guy that that also at one point started to not fly as well and comfortable as previously, I wonder if a change in your distance vision has impacted your flying and makes it seem that "the learning curve has started down". It happened to me and I had to have follow up eye surgery about 5 yrs. after my initial cataract operation. I was not told during the first surgery period that a follow up procedure in 1-5 yrs is very common. Does any of this fit your situation? Also what type and size airplane were you flying?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:16 AM
jetmech05

No he meant 1100.
Drone flyers....please learn the rules, and fly as we all should
Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 AM
52larry52

"No he meant 1100"; OK, I don't fly or buy quads and I see tons of them on Ebay for $1.98 and up. 1100, as in $1,100, you mean one thousand and one hundred American dollars ? Whatever floats your boat, but for my $1,100 I want the flying object to look like maybe a 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, a 1/5 scale Cessna, or maybe a nice 60 size Spitfire with retracts. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but $1,100 for "a flying pancake with propellers" ? OK, hold the nasty replys, I'am just having fun with it guys.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

None of us besides gphil know if that was a typo or not but it probably was. Let's don't give him a hard time about it either way.

I meant my indoor quad is 5 inches across total. It's a Blade MQX. It does drift some, but it's stable enough for some decent precision flying through the house.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:14 AM
jetmech05

Did you happen to notice BAX's address.
Large drones are expensive
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 PM
52larry52

jrtmech05, RE "BAX's address", yes I know who BAX is. The OP said " I was given a small quad" so I didn't figure it was a high end $1,100 example but I could be wrong. A beginner with a free quad was more likely to have a $100 quad. The OP has never returned to this thread to give any more info on the price, so we are wasting our time debating with each other.

Last edited by 52larry52; 09-06-2015 at 08:51 AM.