Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ok rc brains I need help I have a Mds 1.08 I wanna replace

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ok rc brains I need help I have a Mds 1.08 I wanna replace

Old 09-02-2015, 02:42 PM
rcworld2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok rc brains I need help I have a Mds 1.08 I wanna replace

ok rc brains I need help I have a Mds 1.08 2 stroke I wanna replace I bought a used plane with a ok running old mds 1.08 it runs but it's seen its better days on the power end.

I wanna replace it but I don't wanna disturb the cowl does anyone know of a direct fit for this engine?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can find one the OS 1.08 is a superb runner and I still operate two of them. I have no clue if they are a direct drop in for the MDS or not, matching holes etc. That information will likely be difficult to come by since so few of them were ever actually used.

When you are asking engine suggestions for a particular airframe, you think it might be a good idea to describe what that airframe might be?

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 09-03-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 AM
rcworld2000

the airframe is a carl goldberg extra 300
Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ASP 1.08 is a clone of the OS 1.08. You can get one from JustEngines.

Bruce
Old 09-03-2015, 11:57 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok cool, I like that particular airplane and its one I believe to be a very honest one with no hidden problems. I have done the maidens on several for the fellows. The box recommendation was a two stroke ninety and I believe just about the ideal optimum would indeed be the OS 1.08. Now if you really need a four stroke that fine but I will defer to others on the choice just beware of excessive jumps in displacement as weight will surely become a problem.

Yes I do prefer two strokes on a lot of airplanes including this one. Now since the OS 1.08 is long out of production another option would be another out of production engine and that is the Magnum 1.08 Yes this one was a direct copy and I can say from personal experience with one that it to runs every bit as good as the OS version and power about the same. Both of these engines are likely to be found in your local club by older modelers and avalible on the cheap or for barter.

John
Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
rcworld2000

Thanks john yes I have a 2 stroke in there just maybe seen its better power days runs great just seems a little low on power.

I will be on the lookout in the mean time for a os 1.08 or the magnum. It still flys good just think it could be better. And yes it does fly really nice.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rcworld2000
the airframe is a carl goldberg extra 300
There is a long running thread on the CG Extra 300 if you use the search engine in KIT BUILDING. There are tons of us still flying the plane and still building it. Every brand and type engine is being used. I only knew one person using the MDS and that was a very long time ago. If the old MDS is pooping out on you check and see if it has the shim under the head or not. If it does then just remove the shim to bump up the compression. These are/were low or no nitro engines and the shim was needed to lower the compression when nitro was used. The OS 1.08 is a much better engine though and I still run into them all the time at swap meets and our local hobby shop that has used items. I of course run an old style YS 1.20 in my CG Extra. I think Karol in Jamaica is running the Zinoah G-20. The glass cowl can be bought new at Fiberglass Specialties.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I just ran across HobbyKing's site a few minutes ago.... they have an ASP 1.08 for $99. The older ASP's were very nice for the money... I have several.. they still run fine...

I don't have any new generation ASP's... but for $99 I'd take a gamble on it.... and they actually look to be in stock... imagine that. Good luck with it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ow_Engine.html
Old 09-05-2015, 06:35 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd thought. I was a MDS fan and other than the carb on an early 148 never had any problems. But I just don't remember ever seeing a 108. I thought the range went from 78 to 148 with no intermediate engines.

Are you sure you have a MDS 108?

The 148 is a great engine but it does not like high nitro fuels. I ran mine on 5%. They also take a fair bit of running in.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Odd thought. I was a MDS fan and other than the carb on an early 148 never had any problems. But I just don't remember ever seeing a 108. I thought the range went from 78 to 148 with no intermediate engines.

Are you sure you have a MDS 108?

The 148 is a great engine but it does not like high nitro fuels. I ran mine on 5%. They also take a fair bit of running in.
Can't say I was a fan of them but I thought the same thing. Biggest one I had was the .68 and my buddy was using the 148. As much as I didn't like the MDS I must say when they ran they were a power house. After they were no longer sold through H-9 I discovered the need of lower nitro or FAI fuel. The SK engines sold through Kangke has a 1.10 that fits the 1.08 foot print. I still run the SK once in a while, pretty good low RPM high torque engines.