Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Changing TX channel?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Changing TX channel?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing TX channel?

Hello. My 15+ year old Futaba T6XA will not charge. The charger is fine, it's the radio. The battery is about 2 years old. I am not ready to make the jump to 2.4 (many airplanes set up with 72 and I have two kids in college). Can I buy a used T6XA and just swap out the crystal??
Old 09-13-2015, 06:42 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is still illegal to swap transmitter chrystals without getting the radio tuned in the US.
New batteries are cheap compaired to radios. Is the battery bad or the charge circuit?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:41 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just take the battery out to charge it. If the battery is good and the charger is good, it will work just fine.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

There is a diode in the transmitter at the charging jack. It's there to prevent shorting the tranny battery accidentally. It is probably corrupt. It's easily checked with a VOM. Check it and if bad replace. Or, I like the answer. Just take the battery out and charge it. Too simple..
Old 09-14-2015, 05:08 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Just taking the battery out and charging it may not be that simple for Wagon1. If he does not have a smart charger and the proper adapter for the battery connector he still has a problem.

His original TX charger is probably just a wall wart and that won't have the proper connector to plug into the battery connector.

Wagon1, you may be able to cobble some wiring between the two connectors to get it to work.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:26 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Just taking the battery out and charging it may not be that simple for Wagon1. If he does not have a smart charger and the proper adapter for the battery connector he still has a problem.

His original TX charger is probably just a wall wart and that won't have the proper connector to plug into the battery connector.

Wagon1, you may be able to cobble some wiring between the two connectors to get it to work.
you don't need a smart charger and splicing in a compatible connector is easy
Old 09-14-2015, 05:58 AM
tacx

Yes. You are absolutely correct.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 AM
rgburrill

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If the diode is bad you can just short around it. Won't hurt anything unless you use the wrong charger and if all you have is Futaba that isn't a problem.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:27 PM
[email protected]

how long you been flying remove your battery plug the futaba charger plug into the battery if after a hour you dont see a charge get a new battery
Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 PM
tacx

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
how long you been flying remove your battery plug the futaba charger plug into the battery if after a hour you dont see a charge get a new battery
yikes !!