Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ignition Battery Recommendation

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ignition Battery Recommendation

Old 09-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Champstarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Battery Recommendation

Aloha RCU Flyers,

I'm about to install my first gas engine on a .61 size P-47. The engine is a Valley View 20CC. I plan on using a 4.8 volt, 2000 MaH NiMH battery for the ignition. I know a 6.6 volt LiFE and 7.2 volt LiPO will also work with a voltage regulator. Is there one selection of battery that offers an advantage over the others?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a fan of the LiFe. Not that it will be much of a concern in this particular plane, but they can put out lots of amps and can be charged really fast if need be. They are also really light. You can run them unregulated to your receiver and servos and use a BEC from the same battery to your ignition. If you go that route, do go ahead and get the A123 LiFe battery that has the cylindrical shape instead of the ones that look like Lipos. The metal cased A123 batteries are a good bit more durable and can handle more amp draw and faster charging than the flat type cells. Also, do use a BEC for your ignition if you decide the use the same battery to power both. A BEC made for powering ignitions will filter out the RF noise that would flood the circuit if you ran the ignition directly.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I too am a fan of Life, A123 actually,, and I run these for ignition
http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

good luck
Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Champstarr

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
I too am a fan of Life, A123 actually,, and I run these for ignition
http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

good luck
With this setup are you only running one battery connected directly to the receiver?
Old 09-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Champstarr

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
I'm a fan of the LiFe. Not that it will be much of a concern in this particular plane, but they can put out lots of amps and can be charged really fast if need be. They are also really light. You can run them unregulated to your receiver and servos and use a BEC from the same battery to your ignition. If you go that route, do go ahead and get the A123 LiFe battery that has the cylindrical shape instead of the ones that look like Lipos. The metal cased A123 batteries are a good bit more durable and can handle more amp draw and faster charging than the flat type cells. Also, do use a BEC for your ignition if you decide the use the same battery to power both. A BEC made for powering ignitions will filter out the RF noise that would flood the circuit if you ran the ignition directly.
Thanks for your very informative reply. I did order two of the IBECs from Aero Tech that scale suggested. This would allow me to run one battery without the need for a voltage regulator? I ask this because the 20CC calls for a voltage regulator if a LiFE or LiPO is used to power the ignition system but using a BEC will eliminate the need for a separate voltage regulator? Sorry for all of the redundancy on but I want to get this right the first time.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, you go straight to the receiver with the LiFe and put the BEC between the battery and the ignition. The BEC usually will have a 5v regulated output, so it is also your voltage regulator. Do check on that output voltage though before using it if your ignition is sensitive to higher voltages.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:41 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Champstarr View Post
With this setup are you only running one battery connected directly to the receiver?
On my smaller gas planes, Yes, on my 50cc planes I run 2.

good luck
Old 09-17-2015, 06:17 AM
jetmech05

Why are you going to run twice the engine than called for?
I like LiIon batts with a regulator.
I always run at least two batts in gassers
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
20cc gas isn't twice the power of a glow .61,, twice the CC, yes,, twice the power, not at all.
Guys have been running 20cc gasers on these size planes for years. they work great.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Champstarr

Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I created another forum a few weeks ago asking what engine I should use with this model. I have a 15 CC Evo and 20 CC Valley View RC engines. It was recommended buy a few people who have flown or know fliers who do fly this model to go with the 20 CC. There are also a few youtube videos with this model/engine combo and it seemed to fly well. I also wanted to move away from glow fuel .