Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Type of RV for traveling with RC planes

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Type of RV for traveling with RC planes

Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of RV for traveling with RC planes

Hello all,
I plan on semi retiring in a few years and am researching my options on RV traveling (mostly want to live down in the South in the winter). At the moment I have nothing in regards to a tow vehicle so I'll be starting from scratch. I would want to bring a few planes with me so I could fly where ever I plan to stay for the winter, the planes are on average 6 foot wingspans and I plan on building up to 50cc gas size which would be approx 8 foot wingspan and approx the same in length. I'm tossed between a 5th wheel RV and a Class A motor home in which would suit my purpose better. My thoughts are in the 5th wheel RV is that I originally thought about a toy hauler would be great for storing and possibly working on the planes, but hearing co-workers remarks is that you do lose a lot of living area due to the garage space and you would want the most living space especially living in it for so long. A Class A motor home was another option possibly storing the planes in the storage compartment (if it would fit, I haven't looked at the storage space yet in the Class A motor home) and this way there you can tow your car behind the motor home and have a vehicle with you. I'm sure I'm not the only snow bird going south for the winter, any suggestions, advise, tips, anything would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Pat
Old 12-13-2015, 09:22 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a class A motor home with a small (10'-14') enclosed trailer to haul the planes. A small workbench inside the trailer would give you a work space for airplane maintenance while on the road or at a flying site. If you were looking at straight pull camping trailers, not 5th wheel, then a pick up with a covered bed would tow the living quarters and haul your planes but not supply a work area. A class A motor home with a small enclosed trailer would check all your boxes. Enjoy your retirement.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Toy haulers are the best of both worlds, IF YOU PICK THE RIGHT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you buy one that is basically a cargo trailer with a bedroom in the front, you probably won't be happy with it over time. If you buy one that has all the amenities with a separate smaller garage area in the rear, it would work as both a living area AND airplane area. If you take the time to do some research, you will find what can work for you. Maybe something like this one would work:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...elID=2253#Main
Old 12-14-2015, 04:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

For me,, the planes are already in the truck to go back and forth to the field,, I'd just get a nice bumper pull trailer,,, then you have covered transportation for you and your planes once you get where ever you're going.

A Nice Class A that can tow you're plane hauler truck is a good option too, but a Class A with a 14" trailer,,, you'll have to drive the Motorhome everywhere,, that's a pain.

A lot depends on how many big plane, you'll want to carry too
Old 12-14-2015, 05:41 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I toured North America with a small class A [ Safari Trek ] and had models stashed in the underfloor luggage lockers.

NB Class C RVs are much less likely to have such lockers.

Some fivers have a large full width locker right at the front which could be the toy cupboard.

Standard travel trailers are the least suitable IMHO due to lack of storage.

I suppose a 'toy hauler' would be ideal and here is one that might suit the. Keystone Raptor 26FS Toy Hauler
Old 12-16-2015, 02:20 PM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your input,
I like the idea of the Class A towing a trailer but I'd have to take it to the field. What's leaning me towards the Class A is I don't have to purchase a diesel pickup to tow it and I already have a small car that can be towed by the Class A which I could use to go back and forth to the field. A lot of food for thought here.
Thanks again,
Pat
Old 12-16-2015, 09:31 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

PDF, Just a little different angle on my previous suggestion of towing a small enclosed trailer with a class A motorhome...how about you trade that "small car" to go back and forth to the field with a small or mid size pick up with a cap or even a mini van. That would give you easy transportation to the field still with airplane carrying room. I think any class A will tow a mini van with ease.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 52larry52
PDF, Just a little different angle on my previous suggestion of towing a small enclosed trailer with a class A motorhome...how about you trade that "small car" to go back and forth to the field with a small or mid size pick up with a cap or even a mini van. That would give you easy transportation to the field still with airplane carrying room. I think any class A will tow a mini van with ease.
Not quite all,Larry. You would need one of the larger class A's to pull a vehicle as the smaller ones just don't have to torque to do so. If you really want to pull something I'd look at a diesel pusher. It won't know you have anything behind it but it will cost a bit more to fill up
Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Most 30'ish v10s gasers can tow up to 5k no problem,, guys tow cars, jeeps, smaller trucks with them all the time,, if you want to tow 7-10k and up,, yes,, you'll want a diesel
Old 12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
red head

Just a personal opinion; but I don't like motor homes and I've had 2 ( class A 's ) and 3~ 5th wheels . I wouldn't own a tag along if I could help it ( to unstable for me ). My experience with them : first motor home in 1970, kept for 12 yrs (OK while I was working ) . Traded for a new 35 ft 5th wheel and truck , was great until we started traveling Full time ( NO house ). Bought a new 36 ft with slide outs and a basement plus the large front compartment . I carried from 3 to 8 planes all the time and didn't have to bother the wife with them. After a few years we got a 40 ft 5th wheel with a larger basement and more storage as I got bigger planes. We kept the last one up till we retired in Fla. where we traded for a class A motor home . Kept for 5 unhappy years and traded for a new car for the wife.
Now my reasons: with a motor home if it breaks down you look to rent a motel most of the time and have to have it in a shop until fixed. With a 5th wheel usually you can get to a camp ground and stay in it until it is fixed, usually in the camp ground . If you have engine trouble the motor home goes to the shop~ you go to a motel. With a 5th wheel ~you go to a campground, then the truck goes to a shop.
Towing a car or what ever can be a pain, especially if have to back up ( not really possible ). Towing a 5th wheel is relatively easy and usually pretty easy to park if you have any backing experience at all.
To us living in the 5th wheel was way more comfortable than the motor home, especially being full time for 12 yrs .
Again this is just our opinion but if we had to do it again it would NOT be a motor home .
BEST of LUCK on your decision and just keep asking around on all sides. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-17-2015, 07:14 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red, what field you flyin at?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 AM
red head

Hilton airfield in Zephyrhills . I usually only fly on week days and more in summer then winter. Where you located ? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to suggest a 45ft 5th Wheel toy hauler. I currently have a 35ft bumper pull that I lived in for the last 8+ months. Monday thru friday by myself, and then the wife came over for the weekend. 35ft bumper pull with a couple of slideouts is plenty big for a couple. There was very little space for airplanes as it was already noted. I kept my airplanes at the house. And the few times that we did go to a fun fly for the weekend, we ended up removing some furniture from the RV to load up the aircraft. A 45ft toy hauler would give you 10ft of "garage room" and still 35ft of livable space. I think my next RV will be like that.

Hope this helps.
Rafael
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by red head
Hilton airfield in Zephyrhills . I usually only fly on week days and more in summer then winter. Where you located ? ENJOY !!! RED
I am in Center Hill, fly at Can-am flyers in Dade city, I also mostly fly weekdays.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 PM
red head

Not wanting to "pirate " but will. ACERC ~~ I used to help Dick ( Santa ) with his electric fly's . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by red head
Not wanting to "pirate " but will. ACERC ~~ I used to help Dick ( Santa ) with his electric fly's . ENJOY !!! RED
Don't wanna jack the thread either but have to finish the convo. I have been to the CA field four times and have not seen anything but electric. Being I am into somewhat larger gas it is rather disappointing.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM
red head

PDF: Sorry for so much extra conversation. One thing I forgot to mention about getting an RV. Years ago when we were starting to look a salesman gave us some information that has stuck with us and was probably the best thing someone could do for us , here it is : " When looking for an RV, when you step in if you feel ANY confinement at all GET OUT !!!! ". Over the years and a number of RV's later that was the best advice we ever got.
Another suggestion is to take your time and ask lots questions, take more time and BE sure, remember you and yours have to LIVE in it , it's NOT just a play place. ENJOY !!! RED