Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Anybody flown a Seniorita with ailerons & full dihedral?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Anybody flown a Seniorita with ailerons & full dihedral?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:19 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody flown a Seniorita with ailerons & full dihedral?

[HR][/HR]Has anybody flown one like this? I'm debating whether I should take the time to convert this old glow plane to electric. Yes, I know it is best to remove half of the dihedral. But the plane is already built with the ailerons added, and the wing fully covered. (This is the modern Sig version. Not the old Berkely) And so if I have to tear the whole wing in half to modify the dihedral, I'll just find another project instead to do.

The funny thing I noticed is that when I layed this wing down flat against the table next to a 4 channel Hobbico PT-40 wing to compare the dihedral angles between the two, the Hobbico actually had more dihedral in it. Makes me wonder if the Seniorita will do everything the PT-40 can do having less dihedral then the PT-40. (??)
Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ANY Kadet Seniorita will outfly a PT40, no matter how she's set up.

JMHO, I'd convert her and have fun in the air.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A guy in my club added strip ailerons to an already-completed Kadet Senior, and it flew just fine. The Seniorita is the same plane except for size, so I think you'll be OK. I would recommend a lot of aileron differential, because one problem with too much dihedral is that it inhibits the banking you want the ailerons to generate because of adverse yaw.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 02-16-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The advice about differential is spot on.

If you don't plan on doing the differential, don't bother with the ailerons. Every polyhedral I've seen with ailerons added lost thermalling capability. However, trainers with only dihedral do ok with ailerons.

They would do better with less dihedral, expecially high wing designs. Trainers with rubber banded on two piece wings actually aren't hard to modify to have less dihedral.

Last edited by da Rock; 02-16-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Never heard of a Hobbico PT-40 - mine was a Great Planes PT-40. It can, by the way, be made with or without ailerons and has two difference dihedral braces. It is possible the one you compared with used the no-ailerons brace instead of the one for ailerons.

Note that changing the dihedral is no big deal. I reduced the dihedral on my EasyFly 40 because I was trying to learn some basic aerobatics with it. I used a razor saw to cut through the epoxy and dihedral brace in the center, drilled out the old brace then added a new one with less dihedral. There was a thread about this on the old rec.model.rc.air newsgroup years ago.

Last edited by rgburrill; 02-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.