Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

retracts

Old 03-12-2016, 08:29 AM
egrave1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retracts

what is the difference between servoless retract and electric retract
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are electric and air retracts, just to say "Servoless" does not tell you much more then they don't have servo!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic mechanical retracts require a separate servo to operate them. Best practice is to use a purpose made 180 degree retract servo with its own battery.

Electric retracts incorporate an electric motor. Again best with a separate battery.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:11 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E, you should also know the following.
On the lower end less expensive retract from hobby king to eflight they plug right into your reciever port in the retract terminal.
Some of the more expensive retracts from ESM, Robart, down and locked will use a "retract board". The retracts plug into the board and then that plugs into your receiver.
I am making a note of this because it will add $50 to $100 dollars more to your cost of operation.
On the smaller planes 90 size and under if your flying the plane 100% under epower most guys power the retracts from the normal lipo flight packs.
When you go larger most guys use a separate battery like the moderator suggested.
A great example is the T28 from Horison Hobbies , many pilots are now powering the retracts off of a separate pack.
Hope this helps