Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Katana 50

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hangar 9 Katana 50

Old 03-22-2016, 04:33 PM
beberly540
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Katana 50

So im possibly getting a katana 50 with a dle 20.. anyone have opinions, comments Etc? I want an areoworks extra 300 but this is available and now. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:13 AM
extra300crazy

I just picked up a NIB Katana 50 because I'm still waiting for AeroWorks to get their shpments in. I wanted to get the 60-90 size Extra 300 to go with my Extra 260 which I really enjoy. My understanding from previous threads is that the Katana comes in tail heavy, which is unfortunate because the Aeroworks planes balance well when set up per the manual. I understand that the Katana is a great flying plane, but the imbalance bothers me, So I'm going to hold off building it. I was planning on putting in an OS 81a or 110a 4-storke in mine.
Let me know what you decide, perhaps we can compare notes.
Karl
Old 04-02-2016, 04:33 PM
beberly540

Well i got my Katana, its built well and i havent checked CG on it yet but guy i got it from said its well balanced. I havent flown it yet, just installed my reciever and in the process of programming. The canopy is held on by a magnet lock which seems ok.. it has a dle 20 which is gonna be my first Gasoline engine, its still new and hasnt been completely broken in yet. Im hopin to fly in the next weeks to come. I habent flown in aboit 10 years.. i got bored with my last plane which was a sig somethin extra so a little practice is in store before i fly the katana. I still have my somethin extra which im comfortable with so ive gotten it ready, replaced engine bearings and upgraded to the 2.4 system. Wish me luck lol, it should be like riding a bike haha.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:48 PM
extra300crazy

Funny that you should mention the Sig Something Extra. I built one of the firdt kits out about 20 years ago, and it has served me well. I still have and enjoy it, but have gone to 60-90 sized Extra's. The Katana will be my first non-Extra in a long time. I have a GP Extra 300 with an OS 72a and the Aeroworks Extra 260 with the OS 81a. They both fly great, just hoping the Katana will too. I'm lo losing patience waiting for my Aeroworks Extra 300 to come in. Still in the middle of winter here in Michigan, so it will be awhile before flying around here begins. I'm going to the Toledo show tomorrow.
Keep me posted.
Karl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9604[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	2155671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644_1[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	2155672  

Last edited by extra300crazy; 04-02-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM
beberly540

I build my somethin extra in 1999.. its a fun plane and im using the os46fx. I wanted a goldberg extra 300 but never got one. I found a guy locally who has an original kit amd he reproduced some kits. I was supposed to buy but money been tight. so i traded some hvac work for the katana flight ready with only 2 flights on plane. All servos, everything other than a reciever to match my radio. I have a spektrum 2.4 6 channel reciever if you need. I bought a tactic radio and now im kinda wishin i would have spent the extra $20 and got the futaba.. tactic had awesome reviews but theres a little flutter in my somethin extra since i installed the tactic im hopin that its just a weak battery since ive only bench tested everything.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:44 PM
extra300crazy

eThanks for the offer of the Spektrum, but I have always flown Futaba since 1980. The radio glitching sounds suspicious, hope you get it sorted out before you try to fly it. Are you still waiting for your Aeroworks 300? The company said that they expect them in next month. They have been out of most of their stock for almost a year because of the shipping strike. i'm trying to get the orange one.
Karl

Name:	db_file_img_12443_264x196[1].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2155676  

Last edited by extra300crazy; 04-02-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:10 PM
beberly540

No i think im not going to get the extra300. If i crash the katana i will haha. Id love to habe the extra though.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:17 PM
beberly540

Name:	IMAG2226_1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	2155873  
Old 04-03-2016, 06:28 PM
extra300crazy

Your Something Extra looks great! I have an OS 52 4-storke in mine with a 10x7 three blade for the lack of ground clearance. It has served me well for 25 years, so I think I'm going to retire it while it's still in good shape. I'm starting to really enjoy the 60-90 sized Extras. I talked to the Horizon people today at the Toledo RC show, and they were amazed that I had a NIB Katana. I feel very lucky to have it. i hope it turns out to be as good a flyer as my Extras. I expect to hear from Aeroworks any day now regarding the Extra 300. Time will tell.
Karl
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM
beberly540

ive checked out many reviews of the KATANA.. I actually traded my HVAC services for the plane.. guy wanted $800 complete ready to fly even with the spektrum receiver. I feel like it was a good barter.. had a new DLE 20, 2 flights, spektrum a6020 servos I believe, kill box for dle, digital battery meters, guy did an exceptional job putting it together.. said he had $1200 total in the plane which lookin at all the details, wiring, and extras it had I believe he was pretty darn correct. I cant wait to fly it tho.. I don't like that my elevator servos make noise but apparently that's completely normal.. never heard of ACE micro servos though.. I will send some pics maybe this evening so you can see. I don't like the color scheme of the Katanas tho.. Ugly yellow haha..
Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM
extra300crazy

That's exactly why I don't care for digital servos. Not so much the constant whine noise, but because they suck so much battery power-are totally intolerant of any hinge resistance-burn out at the slightest provocation-and are overkill for all but the most demanding installations. I would have preferred a bright yellow like I have on my GP Extra, but I guess it is what it is. It could have been the dark and hard to see scheme as on the H9 SBACH 60. Hate to have to leave that one sit in the sun! I have PlaneWrappers to put on my aerobatic planes for that very reason, while awaiting my turn to fly. I've had a couple of occasions where I have had 20+ year models, where the covering has turned eggshell brittle because of sun and uv exposure. The reviews regarding possible aileron flutter have seem to be corrected with equal linkage set-up and no slop in the servo action. I'm going to change out the flimsy foam wheels for Sullivan light wheelr as I always do, and quality SAE hardware. I have seen foam wheels flex and cafch the edges of wheel pants before, ripping of the gear etc. I'm puttung in a pilot and inst. panel in mine as per the IMAC rules. "Three dimetional pilot and readable intruments" so they say in the book. Your's should have the power to do absolutely ANYTHING you wish! I'll be setting my SFG's aside. I'm going to attach the canopy with two screws at the side as I usually do. Someone has allready noted in one of the threads here that they had their canopy depart after only one minute into the flight. As there are no parts available anymore, it would behoove us to protect all the parts that we can.
Karl

Last edited by extra300crazy; 04-05-2016 at 10:56 AM.