Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Ground Handling on a Super Stearman >

Ground Handling on a Super Stearman

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ground Handling on a Super Stearman

Old 05-31-2016, 04:33 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Handling on a Super Stearman

I have a GP super stearman with DLE 30. Is there anyway to improve ground handling. I am usually pretty good at take offs, but this plane is giving me fits.
torque pull especially. Is it over powered.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a castering tail wheel. If yes either fix it or make it steerable by linking it to the rudder.

A small amount of toe in on the main gear helps.

Open the throttle gently with a little corrective rudder pre applied.It can help to start by setting the plane a little off the wind so as the initial swing is into wind. Full up elevator on the initial roll can help as well.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 AM
My Feedback: (14)

This will fix the problem: https://www.motionrc.com/products/ea...-airplane-gyro
Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way too much power, this is designed for a 1.20 4 stroke. I fly mine with a DLE 20 and that's more than enough. Slow throttle up and right rudder will go along ways and no extra gadgets to go wrong. They fly just like the real ones.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Thanks Guys, I thought the 30 might be 2 much motor. Will think about switching to a 20. Had heard about toe in before. Can I accomplish this by bending the landing gear. Gyro is interesting also.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM

The gyro has two modes...rate and heading hold. In rate mode the gyro will counteract any yawing motion with a blip of opposite rudder. This is exactly what you do when you steer the plane on takeoff except it does it much faster. You continue to fly and steer the plane with rudder as normal and the gyro helps when needed.

In heading hold mode the gyro keeps the airplane pointing in the original heading by applying as much rudder correction as necessary. With this you don't want to touch the rudder control at all....you must let the gyro do the flying. Also, you must shut off the heading hold mode before you make any turns after takeoff.

Here is a video showing the results: https://youtu.be/KOuPeUE0_nQ

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KOuPeUE0_nQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a steerable tailwheel I've taken to setting the wheel to steer slightly left with NEUTRAL rudder. This way you automatically add some right rudder to make it steer strait on the ground. So when you take off you automatically have a bit of right rudder already set.

Ken
Old 05-31-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying buddy at my field has the DLE-30 in his Super Stearman. Never noticed him have any ground handling problems with it at all. Performs really well in the air with that power plant!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throttle management will help a lot even with the 30, just ease it up and use the full runway. Too many guys slam it full on and try to carrier launch it then complain the plane handles terrible on the ground. They don't use gyros in real planes they throttle up slowly until the rudder becomes effective. Learn the skill and you can handle any tail dragger. Make some practice runs without taking off, if it gets squirrely throttle back, taxi back and start over.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Of course you can learn to fly better and solve your problem with the Stearman! After all you are "pretty good" now. It's probably very easy and you've just not got the "knack" yet.

Me...sometimes I apply modern technology when my skill set runs short.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:20 PM
My Feedback: (404)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As mentioned earlier, bend landing gear slightly to get toe in will usually fix ground handling problems.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had one of these kits and it was awful on the ground, then went to a 46 cc Poulan Chainsaw motor with a big prop. With that huge prop it had great rudder control and I never had problems again on the ground.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ronwc
As mentioned earlier, bend landing gear slightly to get toe in will usually fix ground handling problems.
The landing gear on the GP Stearman has a coating that may crack when bending it is attempted. Have you accomplished it, without cracking the finish ?
Old 07-01-2016, 04:00 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Cub that insisted on ground looping. I tried full throttle take offs, slow take off roll until tail lifted,[almost never got to tail off before looping. Solved the problem with a $17.00 gyro ffrom hobby lobby. Only use the rudder position and set it for direction control. It still takes stick input and flys great.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a bit harsh but " just learn to taxi " . You don't need a gadget to help ya just learn to taxi . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-01-2016, 04:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Roo Man
I have a Cub that insisted on ground looping. I tried full throttle take offs, slow take off roll until tail lifted,[almost never got to tail off before looping. Solved the problem with a $17.00 gyro ffrom hobby lobby. Only use the rudder position and set it for direction control. It still takes stick input and flys great.

Excellent, good for you Roo Man. You found what works for you and that is what these forums are supposed to be about

John