Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

4 stroke gas vs 2 stroke gas

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4 stroke gas vs 2 stroke gas

Old 06-28-2016, 06:02 PM
nbawannab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke gas vs 2 stroke gas

I guess what I'm asking is are these engines equals when it comes power and displacement. For example; Saito 21cc gas 4 stroke versus DLE 20cc....can anyone help a fella out...lol
Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There will be variances with individual engines, sometimes big ones, but in general the 2 stroke engines will outpower the 4 strokes for a given displacement. They do so by turning more RPM and burning a lot more fuel at the expense of torque. Comparing those 2 engines, the Saito will make a bit less power, so if a plane is appropriately powered with the DLE it will putt around with the Saito. This is a major oversimplification of the topic, but hopefully it gets you started in the right direction. What planes are you considering these 2 engines for?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 PM
nbawannab

thanks for nothing jester.....you didnt read the question correctly.....the comparison is between the Saito 21cc "GAS" engine and the DLE 20cc....and yes Saito now makes 4 stroke gas engines
Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I know that. Maybe you should actually read the response. I explained the difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines to you, even though you could have used the search feature and gotten several detailed guides on the topic yourself. To compare those two exact engines, it's easy enough to read some reviews and see which props the testers used and what RPM they turned. That will give you a rough estimate of their performance. And no, I'm not going to do the research for you.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 AM
nbawannab

I was looking for first hand experience in the matter....what told me I already knew. The plane calls for a .60-.90 2 stroke or .91-.120 4 stroke. With that said both engines will work on the plane with DLE probably over doing it a little. As far as displacement and RPM's the both produce around the same with the prop range the same for both. So as you can see....I have done my research. Just looking for...like I said, first hand experience. And I apologize for offending you. It wasn't my intention
Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DLE will make more power. A two stroke of the same size will make more power and torque than a four stroke with the exception of the YS four strokes.