Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which is more powerful; Y.S. 1.20 or O.S. Gemini 1.60?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which is more powerful; Y.S. 1.20 or O.S. Gemini 1.60?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 AM
hyperbatix
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which is more powerful; Y.S. 1.20 or O.S. Gemini 1.60?

I currently have the Y.S. 1.20 on my Giant Big Stick, and it pulls it well but doesn't have the vertical upline power that I crave. I have a Gemini 1.60 that I recently aquired and have wondered if it would be a better candidate for what I want, or if I should just step up and put a 30cc to 40cc gasser on the nose. All are options, but I would have to aquire a suitable gasser if the Gemini isn't suitable to what I want the plane to do. I love the sound of a good four-stroke!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	2172396  
Old 07-11-2016, 08:50 AM
LadyHawkRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a schematic on YS 120 fuel system plumbing (non-supercharged system).
Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The 1.60 makes more power but it is also heavier. Some of the extra power you get will be wasted on lugging the motor around. Gas would be the direction I would go. A 20cc would fly it but if you want to overkill it a DLE35ccRE would be my choice. Just make sure you have prop clearance. It will need a 19"-20" prop.

David
Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperbatix
I currently have the Y.S. 1.20 on my Giant Big Stick, and it pulls it well but doesn't have the vertical upline power that I crave. I have a Gemini 1.60 that I recently aquired and have wondered if it would be a better candidate for what I want, or if I should just step up and put a 30cc to 40cc gasser on the nose. All are options, but I would have to aquire a suitable gasser if the Gemini isn't suitable to what I want the plane to do. I love the sound of a good four-stroke!

throw some 30% heli fuel in that 120 and it will come alive.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:04 PM
abacro

Take the muffler off the 120 and watch it come alive!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 PM
hyperbatix

I will try that. My last one didn't have a muffler, and it flew the socks off my CG Ultimate. It would take it out of site vertically in Colorado
Old 07-13-2016, 05:57 PM
hyperbatix

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
throw some 30% heli fuel in that 120 and it will come alive.
Right now, I am using 20% Pro Pattern which has the recommended oil content. I may try the 30% heli for the next gallon. I am going to try one more thing though. I'll remove the muffler and see if it gets better with just a header pipe on it. My last 1.20 would SCREAM and ran really well without the muffler. I love YS engines. This is the first one I have had a muffler on.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:02 PM
hyperbatix

The extra weight isn't a problem because I need it in the nose anyway. I have a lot of weight in the tank compartment just trying to get it to balance with the YS. I want the engine to take it with authority straight up. I love the DLE35, but it's out of my budget for this plane. (I know, I know..I have a Gemini 1.60 and a DLE 35 is out of budget???) Haha! I have the Gemini. I'd have to buy a DLE 35.
Now, I can get a deal on a Quadra 42 or Zenoah G38. (Around $120 for either) Do you think either of these have the power to pull a 13# plane straight up with authority, or am I dreaming? LoL
Old 07-14-2016, 03:43 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I had a YS 140L in a Dave Patrick Ultimate bipe.
That plane was a dog with that engine.
I changed over to an OS 160FX and it was an entirely different plane.
I don't know if the Gemini puts out the power of the 160 FX (probably not) but I was just showing the comparison.

Greg
Old 07-14-2016, 06:26 AM
daveopam

My advice would be to start saving. Once you put a gas motor on that thing you will swear off glow. The YS is a fine piece of machinery but it's a messy high maintenance pig in comparison. When I want to throw a profile in the truck and grab a few flights. I grab the TX the plane the battery and the gas jug. No flight box, nothing to clean the plane after words and when I get home my hands and cloths are clean. Another plus, it might be 99 degrees one day and then 80 the next time I fly. Does not matter cause it will run on both days without touching the needles. The YS is not finicky with temps but a lot of 2 stroke glows are.

David
Old 07-14-2016, 07:40 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by OldRookie
I had a YS 140L in a Dave Patrick Ultimate bipe.
That plane was a dog with that engine.
I changed over to an OS 160FX and it was an entirely different plane.
I don't know if the Gemini puts out the power of the 160 FX (probably not) but I was just showing the comparison.

Greg
Greg, I would suggest there was something not right with your setup. I had that same airplane with an OS 108 swinging a 15x8. Although not as much power as I would have liked, I would not have referred to it as a dog. My current bipe is very close in weight and wing area as the DP Ultimate @ 9 lbs and 1100 sq in. It's powered with a YS 140 swinging a 16x10 three blade CF prop on 30% nitro 20% synthetic oil. Exhaust is simply a KS flex header with silicon deflector at the end. This airplane has unlimited vertical at 2/3 power. Full power is nothing short of scary. Recently few it in a pattern contest, intermediate class and landed 4th place.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2172923   Click image for larger version

Views:	27
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2172924   Click image for larger version

Views:	30
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2172925  
Old 07-14-2016, 08:33 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I don't know how you got an DP Ultimate in at 9 lbs.

Most of the people I have corresponded with on the Ultimate were at about 11+ lbs, as is mine.

I know there is nothing wrong with the 140L, and if my plane were only 9 lbs it would fly the Ultimate nicely as well.

I have included a couple of pics of two DP Ultimates. The closest one is mine with a YS 140 L and straight pipe, the other plane with the OS 160 FX with a TurboJett muffler in it belongs to a flying buddy

In all fairness, I can't really say it was a dog, but not what I need for my style of flying.

Greg

Name:	DP2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2172926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DP1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2172927  

Last edited by OldRookie; 07-14-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 AM
speedracerntrixie

I got one of the first ones out and if I remember correctly it was 9.25 lbs. I used 2 aileron servos with ouch rods between the upper and lower and a few other things to drop weight like a 1000 mah RX battery. The 108 would get it through the IMAC sportsman sequence just fine. I agree that at 11 lbs the 108 would not have cut it and the YS 140 would be fine for some but not all. Wondering if the quality slipped in later runs of the airplanes?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:39 AM
hyperbatix

Default DP Ultimate

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Greg, I would suggest there was something not right with your setup. I had that same airplane with an OS 108 swinging a 15x8. Although not as much power as I would have liked, I would not have referred to it as a dog. My current bipe is very close in weight and wing area as the DP Ultimate @ 9 lbs and 1100 sq in. It's powered with a YS 140 swinging a 16x10 three blade CF prop on 30% nitro 20% synthetic oil. Exhaust is simply a KS flex header with silicon deflector at the end. This airplane has unlimited vertical at 2/3 power. Full power is nothing short of scary. Recently few it in a pattern contest, intermediate class and landed 4th place.
I also had the DP Ultimate Bipe. I powered mine with a Saito 1.80, and it was a BEAST! It had unlimited vertical in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where I used to live. I loved that plane. I had 2 of them and wish they were still available
Old 07-14-2016, 10:43 AM
hyperbatix

Originally Posted by daveopam
My advice would be to start saving. Once you put a gas motor on that thing you will swear off glow. The YS is a fine piece of machinery but it's a messy high maintenance pig in comparison. When I want to throw a profile in the truck and grab a few flights. I grab the TX the plane the battery and the gas jug. No flight box, nothing to clean the plane after words and when I get home my hands and cloths are clean. Another plus, it might be 99 degrees one day and then 80 the next time I fly. Does not matter cause it will run on both days without touching the needles. The YS is not finicky with temps but a lot of 2 stroke glows are.

David
I bought a G38 today because I got a stinkin good deal on it. I'll give it a try, and if it doesn't perform the way I want, I'll go for a DLE 35 or 40 twin. My buddy out in Colorado put a DLE 40 twin on his, and it rockets straight up without hesitation �� You should see his video on YouTube. Impressive setup.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:46 AM
hyperbatix

David
I completely agree with you! I have a 30cc Yak that I love because of that....and because it'll do anything I throw at it. I love the no mess hassles of gas engines. My YS bleeds oil everywhere, but it runs great.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:18 AM
daveopam

Since you are going Gas. think about going to a LiFe battery. You can run one battery to power the RX and ignition and get 4+ long flights depending on the pack size. There is no need for a regulator and the life pack comes with 2 leads on it. Just run a switch for each lead and you are done. You may have to spend $100 on a charger but that is an investment in the future.

David

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXDVCC&P=8
Old 07-14-2016, 04:49 PM
hyperbatix

Since you are going Gas. think about going to a LiFe battery. You can run one battery to power the RX and ignition and get 4+ long flights depending on the pack size. There is no need for a regulator and the life pack comes with 2 leads on it. Just run a switch for each lead and you are done. You may have to spend $100 on a charger but that is an investment in the future.

David

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXDVCC&P=8
I have Life batteries in my Ultimate and my Yak. I do like them and will likely switch over to using one in the Giant Stick. I already have a great charger that will charge most anything, but paid much less than $100 for it. I think I paid about $40, and it charges every battery type I own. It's a Turnigy Accucel, and I am very pleased with it.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 PM
109....someday
My Feedback: (1)

I know it isn't on the list, so I would like to answer a question you didn't ask and suggest another option. How about a bigger YS? I picked up a used YS 1.75 for $250 awhile ago. I never tested the thrust but it would easily pull my 10lb Escapade 61 straight up at half throttle. I know it is a lot more than money than an engine you already have, but your plane is already setup for it. There are a lot of logical advantages to going gas, but I don't use gas 2 strokes because I hate the sound.

EDIT: LiFe batteries are great, I have been switching everything over to them as planes need new batteries. No matter what engine the plane is powered by, I like them.

Last edited by 109....someday; 07-14-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:03 PM
hyperbatix

Originally Posted by 109....someday
I know it isn't on the list, so I would like to answer a question you didn't ask and suggest another option. How about a bigger YS? I picked up a used YS 1.75 for $250 awhile ago. I never tested the thrust but it would easily pull my 10lb Escapade 61 straight up at half throttle. I know it is a lot more than money than an engine you already have, but your plane is already setup for it. There are a lot of logical advantages to going gas, but I don't use gas 2 strokes because I hate the sound.

EDIT: LiFe batteries are great, I have been switching everything over to them as planes need new batteries. No matter what engine the plane is powered by, I like them.
Thanks for your reply. I actually have a YS DZ170 in my possession that has been converted to gas, but I don't own the engine....yet. I have been contemplating buying it though. Ive had it in my shop for about 2 weeks, just staring at it... I did, however, buy a Zenoah G38. Actually, I LOVE the knarly nasty sound of big gas 2 stroke engines. I think it would be very fitting for my Giant Stick, but I am still unsure the G38 will give the vertical upline I desire. If it fails me, I will either go to a larger gas engine, or I will pull the trigger and buy the YS 170DZ and try it out.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Stick 40

I have Gemini 1.60 twin and always thought it was equal to a 1.2 four stroke. I would think the YS 1.2 would have more than the 1.6 twin.
This is due to the extra metal the twin has to move.
Thing is if the Gemini has more than the ys 1.2 , is would like to know. I am putting my Gemini 1.6 twin in a P26 72 in wing span about 10 lbs.

thanks for any input.

sticks
Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 PM
hyperbatix

Originally Posted by Stick 40
I have Gemini 1.60 twin and always thought it was equal to a 1.2 four stroke. I would think the YS 1.2 would have more than the 1.6 twin.
This is due to the extra metal the twin has to move.
Thing is if the Gemini has more than the ys 1.2 , is would like to know. I am putting my Gemini 1.6 twin in a P26 72 in wing span about 10 lbs.

thanks for any input.

sticks
I still really don't know the answer 100%. I have both engines but haven't ran my Gemini 1.60 yet. I ended up buying a Zenoah G38 to replace the YS 1.20 on the nose of my Giant Big Sick, and it seems to have much more power. I haven't maidened the plane since swapping engines though. The Gemini 1.60 is waiting for a future plane.