Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

electroinc switch

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

electroinc switch

Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electroinc switch

Ok some of you scale guys I am in need of a electronic switch that will work with
futaba, it will be used to turn on the landing light in a scale build.
I have never dealt with this before my nav lites are on a manual switch but would like to be able to turn on the landing lites on final and I don't want to have to use a servo to operate a micro switch
Any help is appreciated

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Old 07-15-2016, 02:56 PM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Century jet has a sequencer that does the bay doors, retracts and landing lights! I think I all works from one servo input!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:30 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

You can do this a few ways. First is to buy a switch already made for this purpose.
Second would be to take a brushed motor speed control (ESC), connect the lights to the two output wires and connect a battery or the power source the lights will be using to the input wires of the esc. Plug the receiver plug into the receiver,map the port to a switch and set the travel so the esc is full on/full throttle. Lights will come on and turn off with the switch.
Third, if the lights will run off of the receiver voltage then you can take an old servo and turn it into a switch. If you don't have electronics experience there are videos that show how it can be done.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:47 PM
rt3232

Thanks guys
I had an idea that a ESC would work and would need a bit of help I am not sure a 7C would let me do it, I do have some old servos that might work but was not able to find an article with the instructions.
I finally found a ready made switch from Hansons so Got that coming, but would still like to find the servo thing.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-17-2016, 02:29 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by rt3232
Thanks guys
I had an idea that a ESC would work and would need a bit of help I am not sure a 7C would let me do it, I do have some old servos that might work but was not able to find an article with the instructions.
I finally found a ready made switch from Hansons so Got that coming, but would still like to find the servo thing.

Cheers Bob T

The brushed esc would be the simplest and the cheapest way(provided you have one lying around) . It will work on a 7C.

As far as using a servo,here are some videos I found . Not the best soldering jobs but it gets the job done.
If you are powering the lights from the receiver voltage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-Md1W8dYQ

If you are using a secondary battery or higher voltage battery you add a relay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdIMsmYJ08
Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 PM
bunsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for a RCV controlled relay I have used:

Dimension Engineering

Pico Switch and Battle Switch that work off nominal +5V RCV SERVO output.

Ray
Old 07-18-2016, 10:53 AM
rt3232

Thanks again guys Brian and Ray.

The LED landing lights are made from 2 small flash lites I got at the dollar store and they are plenty bright on an old 4 cell Nimh pack that I had retired but not disposed of. so now I will but a system together on the bench ,check it out to see if this old geezer is smart enough.

Thanks again

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Old 07-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you Google "Electronics Projects for R/C" you will find a number of electronic switches you can build yourself.