Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

saito FG 11 gasser

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

saito FG 11 gasser

Old 07-28-2016, 04:45 PM
nbawannab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito FG 11 gasser

a friend recently gave me a Saito FG 11cc gas motor as a present...being that I'm not to familiar with 4stroke gassers I'm looking for suggestions as to what size plane this would go on....thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 AM
jetmech05

A 60 size
Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 AM
jetmech05

A 60 size will be ok
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
nbawannab

cool....I'm thinking the 60 size Top Flight Mustang.....
Old 09-02-2016, 06:12 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Watch what you put it on, reason being it doesn't put out the same power as a .60 size glow and weighs about 10 ounces more. I have(had) one on a SIG T-Clips, and while it flew it well, it lacked the power for good vertical performance and the lack of good power led to its demise when it stalled, it was too low to get the speed up, where my Something Extra with a 72 can go vertical from a dropped wing stall(did that today).

However, the engine is fantastic! It sips fuel, I can run an hour on 12 ounces of gas. It sounds great! Finding the right plane for it is a very good question, as I am thinking of putting a Saito 62 on the T-Clips when I repair it. I also have a small P-51, https://www.hobbyzone.com/great-plan.../GPMA1205.html that I am thinking of putting it on. It calls for a .70 4 stroke though, so it may be under powered, especially with the extra 10 ounces of ignition weight.

OTOH, I am also considering replacing the gas carb with a glow carb and running it on glow with CDI. I can use lower or no nitro fuel, lower oil content fuel, and lean it out to get more time per tank, as well as the added power of running glow. Then this little engine can do some good work.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:13 AM
nbawannab

hey guys...I just got the 11cc Saito engine and noticed a nipple on the crank case and since this is my first gasser I need help with the plumbing. now my thinking is as follows....since the muffler doesn't have a nipple like a glow engine,then the tubing that would usually go to that glow muffler should connect to the nipple on the crank case of the Saito. is this correct?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:41 PM
acdii

Nope, thats the crank case breather. A glow would use the muffler nipple for tank pressure, the gasser doesn't need tank pressure since it has a pump on the carb, however, if not vented properly the crankcase wont work the pump porperly. It needs to be open to the atmosphere. What I do with mine is take a piece of 1/8" soft brass tubing and strap it to the muffler in a way that one end is at the exhaust port, the end cut at an angle facing away from the exhaust flow. The other end connects to a piece of tygon fuel line that connects to the crank case nipple. this helps draw the oil away and allow air flow back in. If you face the angle towards the exhaust flow then it wont evacuate the oil and prevent the crankcase from breathing.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:04 PM
nbawannab

ok....so I take it the gas tank only needs two hoses....one for the carb and one to fill the tank?
Old 11-24-2017, 05:54 PM
acdii

Well depending on the setup, 2 line or 3 line. If you have the fill valve inline with the carb, then a 2 line is all you need, if you have a separate fill line, then a 3 line is needed. You have to vent the tank. You run a long piece of Tygon from the vent, coil it once above the fuel tank, then drop the open end down and out the bottom of the plane. If you don't do this, gas will run out when you go inverted or nose down. Gas set ups are different than glow in that you need gas safe fuel line such as Tygon, or Neoprene, and you need to properly vent them since they don't use a pressure line from the muffler, but draw fuel via the pump in the carb. You also need a filter clunk as the gas carb can clog very easy if not filtered well.

When transporting, you don't need to drain the tank unless storing it in a very hot trailer. You cap the open line with a fuel dot, the carb will block any flow as it has a sort of bowl and valving that meters fuel. If stored in a hot car going from a cold basement, then you shoud have the tank empty as pressure will build up and the carb could then leak, stinking things up, but it takes quite a bit for that to happen, haven't had one leak yet and been flying gas for several years.

One other thing to be watchful of, gas will harden the Tygon fuel line over time, so after the plane has been sitting empty for any length of time, you will want to fill the tank and lines and let them sit for a while so they soften, especially for the clunk line.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:03 PM
nbawannab

thanks for the help brother. just one more question....how do you strap the copper tubing to the muffler? will zip ties work?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:05 PM
nbawannab

oh and this engine is inverted and mounted to the Pheonix Models PT-19....if that makes a difference
Old 11-25-2017, 06:40 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What may not be clear is that if you use a filter clunk, you must do a 3 line setup which gives you a separate fill line. If you use the carburetor line for filling with a filter clunk, you'll be filtering the fuel which it goes in, which means any debris goes straight to the carb when you start the engine. An inline fuel filter allows you to use the carb line to fill the tank. The easy way is to install a T fitting and run a fill line out to a convenient place on the plane.

I'm not sure I agree with the plane recommendations given above. 11cc=.66ci. Normally, a .70 glow 4 stroke is considered equivalent to a .46 2 stroke glow. This engine is a bit less powerful than that, so I think a light weight .40 size plane is more appropriate. It would go great in a .40 size Cub or Taylorcraft or any lightly loaded sport plane like an Ugly Stick or 4 Star. It's hard to justify putting it in a .60 size warbird unless you are looking for scale realism by limiting your power.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:29 PM
acdii

It flies an LT-40 with authority. That is a 52 FS sized plane, so thats a good baseline to go by.
'
Good point on the fill line, hadn't thought of that since all my setups are 3 line.

As for inverted, thats perfect, mine was inverted in the SIG T-Clips 70. I used plastic Zip ties to secure the brass tube.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:56 AM
nbawannab

thanks for the info guys....I actually decided to put the engine on the .40 size PT-19 from Pheonix Models. I also got the engine started and ran one tank so far. will run a couple more to fine tune it. it sounds great and I'm looking forward to putting it thru it's paces. thanks again...Stu