Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

low voltage for lipos

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

low voltage for lipos

Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low voltage for lipos

what would the lowest voltage be(safe range) for a lipo.....and to be on the safe side the lowest for a nicad 4 cell.thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 06:46 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the battery forum for more responses. Dan.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:05 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.4 on the NiCad is fully depeleted.
I run LiIon on my big airplanes, I recharge at 7.1 volts at a 1 amp load. Now I am regulated to 6.5 at the servos and 5 to the receiver so I have a cushion. I'm recharging now at 7.4 volts but I'm gonna fly tomorrow all day.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:10 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Lipo is pretty much completely discharged at 3v per cell. So for a an 11.1v pack that would be 9 volts under a light load, a bit more if you are measuring open voltage. NiCds can go to 1v per cell under load. FWIW, measuring open voltage doesn't really tell you much, because the voltage the meter sees is so affected by the pack's internal resistance and the small load the meter sees. Two packs that are similarly discharged may show several 10ths of a volt difference in their readings because of those factors. There is the voltage the cell is producing, and then there is the voltage that the meter actually sees. Measuring voltage under load, using the same load each time, practically eliminates those variables and gives you a true indication of how much charge the battery has left.