Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Rcexl kill switch good or bad idea >

Rcexl kill switch good or bad idea

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rcexl kill switch good or bad idea

Old 07-29-2016, 09:18 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rcexl kill switch good or bad idea

I recently had a throttle servo freeze up while taxing out to take off. I had the radio set up with throttle cut but with no servo that didn't work. I was able to run the plane down and stop it but it got me thinking about installing some kind of kill switch.
Today when I arrived at the field a club members was picking his plane up after crashing he said it was due to the rcexl kill switch going bad I don't know if that was the cause or not so the question. Is it a good idea to install a kill switch or not? It seems you only hear the bad things. I would like to hear your thoughts about kill switches.
Thanks
Dan
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

I wouldn't fly a gasser without one. I have hundreds of flights with RCXL 2.0 kill switches. Can they go bad? Probably, same as the receiver, ignition, servos, or any other electronic component. Is there a pattern of them going bad? Not that I've observed
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one in each of my planes and they work well for me, great idea. I am aware of one going bad, cracked board, loosing contact. Replaced by seller no problem. Big planes require as many safety devices as possible in my humble opinion!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts guys I will install one in my planes. That was my first servo go bad on me in going on 10 years at least it was on the ground.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Gassers really need them, IMO. It's not as easy to use your throttle trim to kill the engine, and having the failsafe there to shut off your engine in the event of a signal loss is good.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:41 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

Signal loss, throttle servo loss, linkage issue.

The problems it will save will be many more than any problems it might cause