Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WIG Question

Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default WIG Question

Quick search of RCU produced several threads about the subject of WIGs but was wondering if there have ever been any documented successes in modeling or is it just not practical?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

I tried a wig once but nobody believed it was my real hair.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:21 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is that they would be flying so low, it would be hard to control. Most of the time it wold dig into a turn. If it had too much power it would just fly which makes it not a WIG. Doable but why? Just fly a model low to the ground would do the same thing.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course its doable especially now but unlikely you find many other efforts by other folks

I think a scale model of the first Caspian Sea Monster done in a small scale and light structure would be a very cool project.

John
Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been intrigued by these for years, and have done a bit of research into building an R/C version. There are a number of resources you can find if you search around. Some are fairly successful, but control and balance do seem to be pretty tricky. I wish you luck in your endeavor!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:05 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Not an endeavor at this point - just wondering...

Thinking strictly a waterborne craft with operation restricted to glassy smooth surfaces with propulsion taking place sub-surface - perhaps a boat prop that would in essence be self-governing by not allowing the vehicle to climb any higher than necessary to be considered "flying" - i.e. if the prop leaves the water, propulsion goes away and the craft descends; once the prop goes sub-surface, propulsion resumes. Like any ideas, perhaps it doesn't work so well in practicality. Probably need more than one prop turning in opposite directions so as not to impart a yawing force during water/air transitions.

Continuing along those lines and thinking out loud, I guess turns would need to be flat with opposing aileron mixing involved in rudder coupling - in other words, a reverse-coordination turn.

It may be a dumb idea, but I like thinking about it...

Last edited by H5606; 08-18-2016 at 02:46 PM.