Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Are fuel tank mounting curious ? >

Are fuel tank mounting curious ?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Are fuel tank mounting curious ?

Old 10-03-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are fuel tank mounting curious ?

why is it the arf planes tank mounting always below the fuel intake . Every time I put one together,mounting the engine upright, the tank is always below the recommended position. Engine manufacturers state to make sure the fuel line be in line with the carb. seems to me manufacturers should be aware of this. I mount all my glows upright. I've always wondered about this.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well not every arf is intended to have upright mounting, many are intended for ninety degree and others for fully inverted.

Factors such as the depth of the forward fuselage for example most ARF J-3 cubs intended for glow power use a ninety degree mount not just to make it look scale with the cylinder sticking out the side but also because of the relatively shallow depth of the forward fuse. It is difficult to get the fuel tank high enough without grinding out that pretty instrument panel and this is made worse when oversized fuel tanks are used.

Every airframe has a different circumstance for the intended engine mounting. Now having said that while most ARFs from mainstream suppliers are fine There have been some where no thought seems to been given any thought to this basic need, if a typical glow engine is to be used.

John
Old 10-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree.

Many (most ?) ARFs are designed for inverted, or side mounted, engine installations. I haven't seen an upright mounted glow engine in some time.

My glow powered air frames have inverted installations. I experience no problems, and the model presnts a cleaner appearance.

Pica of a pair of Kadet Seniors are posted below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2184452   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_013.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	833.2 KB
ID:	2184453   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_008.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2184454  
Old 10-04-2016, 11:46 AM

I have 2 sig kadets, 2 hanger 9 alphas and a world models super frontier, all depict upright engine mounting. They all run well (I'm not into pretty, just want to fly). I'm not particularly fond of inverted mounting,,tried it once,,,,not a fan. I run all OS engines,,,love me all. Just a curious question is all.

Waiting for hurricane Matthew to hit----- TAZZZZ
Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 PM

I hope the hurricane is kind to you.

For the type of models that you fly, I suggest that you mount your engines in the stance that best suits the fuel tank location.

I've had no trouble with inverted engines. I believe that fuel tank location is the key to success.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean. Even though the tank is not mounted in line I have absolutely no operating problems whatsoever. So, I guess I shouldn't worry so much.�� Anyway,gotta take down the sails

Thanks for the comeback----TAZZZZ
Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed all your airplanes are intended for upright mounting. The Super Frontier is a clone of the Seniors and both have that lovely deep, deep forward fuselage where it easy to get the tanks up high where they need to be.

And indeed button up tight tonight we will be praying for you.

John
Old 10-04-2016, 02:17 PM

I'll have no problem keeping my control lines straight. Whew, there talking 100+mph winds.

Thanks for the prayer see you on the other side

TAZZZZ
Old 10-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tazzzz
I have 2 sig kadets, 2 hanger 9 alphas and a world models super frontier, all depict upright engine mounting. They all run well (I'm not into pretty, just want to fly). I'm not particularly fond of inverted mounting,,tried it once,,,,not a fan. I run all OS engines,,,love me all. Just a curious question is all.

Waiting for hurricane Matthew to hit----- TAZZZZ
I feel the same about inverted engines, they need onboard glow. I have done one with the engine off center a little when mounted inverted, that seemed to help as the glow plug was not a "sump" for fuel and it seemed to run better.
either may help if you have to invert one.
I was thinking about this after posting and I wonder if setting the low end is more important, as there may be more raw fuel sumping into the glow plug and putting it out if the low end if rich.

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 10-06-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add thought
Old 10-06-2016, 04:08 PM

I really couldn't tell you, I got so frustrated with getting it to run without idiosyncratic tweaking. I just want to fly without my mind worrying about the little things that might interrupt my enjoyment

TAZZZZ��
Old 10-07-2016, 08:00 AM

I've never had onboard glow on an inverted 4 stroke. I don't feel that it is needed. If problems occur, other factors are at work, such as fuel tank location.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I've never had onboard glow on an inverted 4 stroke. I don't feel that it is needed. If problems occur, other factors are at work, such as fuel tank location.
if its not tank location, what are the other issues we need to address to fix our inverted problems?
Old 10-10-2016, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stick 40
if its not tank location, what are the other issues we need to address to fix our inverted problems?
Problems with the engine, itself, are possibilities.