Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

best glue for carbon fiber rods

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

best glue for carbon fiber rods

Old 10-09-2016, 03:49 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best glue for carbon fiber rods

Having used wood and plastic for push rods, I am in a new build and want to use C/F tubes in side shaped strut tubes and need to glue in threaded 4/40 rod in each end.
So what is the best glue to use ?
I plan on using J/B weld to hold the C/F rods in the shaped tubes at the ends, after filling the tubes with a foam so the aluminum does not dent so easy.

Cheers Bob t
AMA13377
Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CA and epoxy would work, but what you do need to do is wrap the ends where the threaded rods are, so they need to be wrapped around the outside with dental floss and CA to strengthen the carbon tube from splitting.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I like to use short 4-40 rods threaded both ends and JB Weld which is what is recommended. I cut a short 1/4 piece of brass tubing that just fits over the carbon rod. Clean the threaded rod end that will be epoxied inside the carbon rod and the inside of the carbon rod with alcohol. Mix up the JB Weld and force a good amount down the carbon tube. Liberally coat the one threaded end of the push rod and slide inside the carbon tube. Slide the brass collar over the carbon rod (the extra epoxy/JB weld will glue the bass tube to the end of the carbon tube keeping the end of the carbon rod from splitting. The threaded end of the 4-40 push rod epoxied inside the carbon rod will stop the 4-40 rod from pulling out. Clean excess JB Weld or epoxy with alcohol.

Dennis
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks flypaper 2

I have done that with push rods, but in this case the C/F fills the width on the shaped aluminum tube, so the closer plug will be J B Weld I think that should work as well and just for insurance I will drill a row of #60 drill size holes at the end of the aluminum tube so the J B weld will come thru and lock it all together

My previous cub hah shaped wood struts but they were heavy.

Cheers Bob T