Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Exhaust extension

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Exhaust extension

Old 10-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust extension

I am putting a OS 160 flat twin 4 cyc in a P-26 Peashooter and I need to put about 4 in of exhaust extensions on it.

I plan to use JB weld to put them on , unless some one has something better.

just wondered what would be the best metal and way of putting them on.

thanks

sticks
Old 10-29-2016, 03:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Auto parts store carry a high temp silicon that should work well in this situation.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Stick 40

I thought about extensions, but think they will move around in the wind too much at that length. I have some lite alum. metal, but think the high temp will melt them.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 PM
TomCrump

I use brass and support the extensions.

I doubt that aluminum would melt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF1849.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	2188279  
Old 10-30-2016, 03:32 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I use brass and support the extensions.

I doubt that aluminum would melt.
its really light cheap tubing, I was thinking of brass.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

I had the OS 160 Gemini on a Waco bipe. I used some chrome plated bass tubing for my extensions. I bought the material in the plumbing section of the local hardware store. The tubing is sold as a water connection for toilets. The tubing was a perfect slip fit over the OS exhaust pipes and I secured them with a sheet metal screw.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Originally Posted by Stick 40
I am putting a OS 160 flat twin 4 cyc in a P-26 Peashooter and I need to put about 4 in of exhaust extensions on it.

I plan to use JB weld to put them on , unless some one has something better.

just wondered what would be the best metal and way of putting them on.

thanks

sticks
Go to your plumbing shop, they sell a copper tubing that is chrome plated and is flared on one end. They come one foot long and make perfect exhaust extentions
, the tubing is the correct size for the exhaust nuts
Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do exactly as TomCrump does. Have had OS 1.60 twins on several planes, with all the exhausts done that way. The K&S brass tubing is a perfect slip fit for the OS exhaust stubs. Anneal the brass tube where you are going to have bends to make it easier to bend the tubing without deforming it. The brass tube available at most hobby stores and some mom/pop hardware stores and will outlive the engine. I also usually add a pressure tap to one leg of the tubing using 1/16" K&S tubing. Cut a 45 deg angle on one end, drill a hole and insert the tubing halfway in with the slanted face facing forward, secure with a generous dollop of JB Weld (after roughing up the joint and cleaning with alcohol). A slice of the next size up tubing soldered on the exposed end of the tap makes a good fuel barb.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by pkoury
I had the OS 160 Gemini on a Waco bipe. I used some chrome plated bass tubing for my extensions. I bought the material in the plumbing section of the local hardware store. The tubing is sold as a water connection for toilets. The tubing was a perfect slip fit over the OS exhaust pipes and I secured them with a sheet metal screw.
I thought about a metal screw, but worried about back pressure. must be a very small screw?
lots of good info. I will think about it, I generally put some thought into a project before I go thru with the fix. I will go look at parts.