Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Antenna

Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 PM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antenna

On your 2.4 radios, what position do you point your antenna? Does it matter?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Single antenna, straight up or straight down is best
Dual antenna, one vertical and one horizontal
Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mashp39
On your 2.4 radios, what position do you point your antenna? Does it matter?
On the transmitter, just do not have the antenna pointed at the plane. If talking about the receiver, if dual antenna, just make sure the two are at right angles to one another with directions not critical. If single antenna on receiver, I prefer either up or down as, unless you fly directly overhead, the receiving antenna will never be pointing at the transmitter. Should the receiver antenna point toward the transmitter, the signal will be poorest and range minimized.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any direction except directly at the model.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send an e-mail to the manufacturer for the correct answer. Dan.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the transmitter I always bend my antenna 90 deg. Radio waves emit from side of the antenna not from the end. Those that side don't point the antenna at the plane are spot on.
in the plane 90 deg from each other
Old 01-22-2017, 07:07 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Send an e-mail to the manufacturer for the correct answer. Dan.

Or RTFM
Old 01-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The radiation pattern is shaped like a doughnut with the antenna centred in the middle of the hole. Best position for your transmitter antenna is straight up from the ground unless you are flying directly over head. This puts the strongest signal broadside to your position so if you are flying off to any side, you have the best signal to the plane. Of course this will send the weakest signal to your plane if you fly directly overhead, if you do that, tilt your transmitter until you are no longer overhead.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:59 PM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the receiver antenna is on the floor of the plane then the max transmitter signal would be for the antenna to point to the side of the transmitter. Right?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mashp39
If the receiver antenna is on the floor of the plane then the max transmitter signal would be for the antenna to point to the side of the transmitter. Right?
Either to the side or straight up would be preferred but, at the same time, the direction of the receiver antenna is just as if not more important.
The receiver antenna needs to be pointed 90* to the direction to the transmitter. If the receiver is on the floor, the antenna needs to be pointed up(most desirable) or down (through the bottom and less desirable) or, least desirably, forward, back or to either side of the plane.
The reason is that, as long as the plane is not directly over your head, the vertical antenna will get a strong signal for the best reception. This means pointed up as going through the bottom subjects the receiving part of the antenna to dirt, engine exhaust/oil and possible damage. Pointing straight forward or back will give poor reception when headed toward or away from the transmitter, exactly the directions the plane will be headed during take off and landing while to either side will give you a very low reception flying along the length of the runway, normally where you are doing any aerobatic maneuvers