Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS GT 15. and a sig kadet sport? I

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS GT 15. and a sig kadet sport? I

Old 01-21-2017, 02:48 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS GT 15. and a sig kadet sport? I

I have a sig kadet sport still in the box,,,,,and a OsGT15 gasser,,,do you think this engine will be to much for this trainer? I'm just wondering if would be to heavy for this plane,,,,,,of course I would have to bolster the firewall,,,etc etc. it being a taildragger,,,seems it would be worthwhile, just wondering if anyone has put a heavier engine on this type of aircraft..... thanks guys,,,,,,TAZZZZ
Old 01-21-2017, 03:39 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Tazzzz. Yes I have used the ignition version of the GT 15 for several years now in my Kit version of the Senior and no the engine is not too much engine. It in my opinion is a superb combination and this engine has become a favorite. Also you do not have to bolster the firewall that is not required but up to you I did no changes to the firewall other than building a smooth cowl. I did considerable changes back in the wing compartment and strengthened the wing to accommodate a large load of gasoline.John, I love that engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina Cadet  Havasu (9).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2197618   Click image for larger version

Name:	catalina cadet B.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2197619  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 01-21-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:24 PM
tazzzz

Thx for the comeback. I was thinking of the wing area. How did you strengthen it? Tazzzz
Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tazzz I did extend the wings at the tips by one bay each which is something just under 10 inchs. This was in anticipation of the heavy fuel loads I was going for. Spar doubler were extended several more bays out on the wings and spar webs were added all way to tips and a much larger leading edge square pin was used. The two fuselage servos were moved aft to just behind the trailing edge and the throttle servo move forward to clear the wing compartment. This is to allow two 64 oz soda bottle tanks uder the wing and the nose has a 13 oz Hayes. When I am just sport flying the big tanks are easily removed.

The first engine I used was an OS .95AX and that worked fine but most of the time was spent near idle so to improve consumption I went to an OS .65AX (with that engine I achieved a local flight of just over six hours). Finally when the 15GT came out I went for one not because of power but for increased reliability. This did pan out in reliabity of needle settings because of the large change in fuel head pressure when all tanks were used. Here are some pictures during the first tests of the extended wing. Since there was no landing gear intended at first I just taped half inch balsa strips along the bottom and hand launched with a helper. A bit later I tested the wing with a different senior fuse and eight pounds taped above and below the belly. This simulated a full load and This was a big success but since the test fuselage had just stock gear it was pretty silly looking on the ground.

This is my favorite go to airplane when go down to my float club maybe four or five times a year an just sport fly I would not be afraid to us that engine on a stock Senior Sport.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior Cadet Catalina (20).JPG
Views:	201
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2197631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior Cadet Catalina A (10).JPG
Views:	255
Size:	666.1 KB
ID:	2197632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior kaydet Catalina Wing B (24).JPG
Views:	162
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2197633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior Cadet Catalina (4).JPG
Views:	146
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	2197634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior Kaydet Catalina Wing.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2197637  
Old 01-23-2017, 03:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Compared to the kit version, the Kadet Sport is poorly built. When over-powering the model, you run the risk of wing failure.. The wing tubes are too short, and won't support the wings in higher stress situations.

The wing on my first Kadet Senior Sport failed in this manner.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 AM
tazzzz

Nah,,, I'm just a casual flyer,,,,just cruise around,,not doing any crazy stuff like I used to do. I tend to fly just to relax,,,,and help nubies and others. Thx.. TAZZZZ