Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba or Spectrum?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba or Spectrum?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:48 PM
scupp64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba or Spectrum?

Been out of flying a long time, the last radio I used was the old futaba skysport 4-channel was not 2.4. My question I guess is what is a quality radio 6 channel that isn't so hard to program, and by the way I am not a super high-tech guru so something fairley simple by the way do not have any flying clubs here in southwest Alabama so I am on my own, with I hope the help of the r/c universe family, THANKS
Old 02-09-2017, 02:06 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think any of the radios that go for about $199 or so would be a good choice....I have a Futaba 6J and like it, but I also fly with a JR 9303 Now that's old according to some!

How far are you from Theodore? They have a great club there!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:29 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had real good luck with an older Futaba FASST system..

Pros, never had a hit, or radio issue ,stays bound, 7c was decent price..
Cons, no plug and play, more expensive receivers....

The plug and play doesn't bother me at all..but it might some people. I prefer to build instead of buy new RTR stuff.
I would buy it again..in fact I have two of them... my biggest complaint is the 7c should have had more model memory... Then I would only have ONE 7c !
Old 02-09-2017, 06:45 PM
krokodyl

You'll get many different answers.... Futaba no longer makes entry level FASST radios, infact the cheapest current radio that has FASST is the 14sg.

Looking at the feature sets, the spektrum dx6 has more to offer than the futaba 6k/6j. Since you are on your own, BNF models from horizon will likely be something to look at, and the dx6 will bind to all of them. It's a very popular radio, easy to program, with many great features, so that is what I would go with.

Just my opinion though.

Hubert
Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Having All three, Futaba, Spectrum and JR(which uses Spectrum), I can tell you that the least problematic radio has been the Futaba. The Spectrum has been problematic in that I have had several brownouts, and what is most discomforting is the amount of time it takes from turning the radio on until the RX links up, where the Futaba links up immediately.

FrSky makes low cost RX for Futaba, and I have at least a dozen of them and never had an issue with them. The 14GS radio though supports all the Futaba RX, so its a very good radio if you can afford it.

On the flip side, I have a JR 12X, which was a $1500 radio at the time, and the programming of it is straight forward and does things the Futaba can't such as combining throttle and flaps, so that you can have the flaps retract above a set throttle position so if you have to do a go around all you have to worry about it pushing the stick up, when you get below that position the flaps deploy. You can also slow the servos down under the flap setting. You can slow down servo speeds on the Futaba, but under a different screen.

The JR RX seems to be better than the Spectrum as I have not had issues with JR RX, but they are also quite expensive. I have also used Orange RX with the JR, and those seemed to be good, but my friend has my old DX6i and using the Orange RX has had a couple brownouts, and I have had brownouts with a DX8. He lost a plane due to a brownout, it went completely out of control at low altitude, and just before it hit, he got control back, but was too late. The sad part was is that the plane was within 100' of the radio. When we retrieved the plane, the RX was still powered on and sure enough the LED was blinking that it lost signal.

If you decide to go Spectrum, I would suggest finding a JR radio that works on DSMX instead of the Spectrum TX.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:31 AM
krokodyl

If you had a brownout, it was not the radios fault nor the receivers fault.

If I were buying a higher end radio, I would consider futaba. If I was buying a lower end radio, I would go with spektrum.

Let's not turn this into a radio war though

Hubert
Old 02-10-2017, 11:53 AM
acdii

You're right, wrong term, loss of signal is what i was referring too. It wasn't a slow flashing light on the RX, it was the same as if you had the radio next to it, and turned it off and then back on. That 2-6 second delay between losing signal and resetting dooms the plane.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by krokodyl
You'll get many different answers.... Futaba no longer makes entry level FASST radios, infact the cheapest current radio that has FASST is the 14sg.

Looking at the feature sets, the spektrum dx6 has more to offer than the futaba 6k/6j. Since you are on your own, BNF models from horizon will likely be something to look at, and the dx6 will bind to all of them. It's a very popular radio, easy to program, with many great features, so that is what I would go with.

Just my opinion though.

Hubert
So, what's wrong with an FHSS radio? It does the same thing as a FASST and costs much less. You can order a Futaba 6J FHSS for $165 or a 4YF for $100, either one being plenty for a new or returning flyer. I use a 4PLS FHSS telemetry radio for my boats and it does everything and costs less than half of what the newer 4PX FHSS/FASST system does.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:30 PM
krokodyl

Nothing wrong with the, just pointing out the facts. In the real world, they both work well. I'm assuming though, that technically FASST is a more robust protocol.

I still would recommend the dx6 over the 6j/6k. I didn't look into the radios to deeply, but just looking at the feature sets, the dx6 looks like it has more to offer. Sure, the 6j will fly a 4 channel trainer very well. BUT, you will likely outgrow it, even if you have a 5-6 channel airplane. Voice only through earphone is annoying. Not being able to slow the servos for flaps is not very good with many airplanes. A few other thing that I probably missed to. The dx6 is probably the most popular radio at our field, and many using it are far from being a student.

IMO, futaba has more market share in their higher end radios, while spektrum has more in their lower- mid range radios. Might be wrong though.

I know I may sound like I am bashing futaba. Not trying to do so. The 6j/6k are surely very well built radios, but IMO you will out grow them quicker than a dx6.

Hubert
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Thanks for explaining your post, much appreciated.
I personally have a Futaba 9CAP that was originally bought to use on both planes and boats. To be honest, I like it much better than the other twin stick radios I've checked out, not just Futaba. As far as outgrowing a radio, been there done that TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First radio was a Futaba twin stick two channel on the old Blue/White band. Took very little time to realize it was barely above toy grade. Second was a Futaba Conquest four channel AM. Still have it though it's not usable since I didn't get it retuned 20 years ago. That brings me to my 9CAP. Can't see getting rid of it since it's still more than capable of flying everything I have on the boards or on paper
Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you convert your 9Cap to 2.4?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:06 PM
acdii

I outgrew the DX6i quickly on my second kit build. Thats when I went to the Futaba 8FGS. I wanted a second Futaba for training and got the 14SG since it was directly compatible with the 8FGS. I also got the DX8, which I still have, but am leery of it after a few glitches in flight. I converted all the Spektrum over to the JR and they have been glitch free. Same RX's that I had on the DX8 are now controlled with the JR, so I know it isn't the RX.

I like flying with the JR and prefer it for programming, its the link time that has my concern. I now use the DX8 as a trainer with the JR.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 PM
krokodyl

LOL, I outgrew my dx6i on my second trainer (LT 40 wing came off in air), before I even got off the dx6i. It was an avistar elite, and I wanted to have 3 position flaps. You could do it on two switches, but the avistar really needed down elevator mixed in, and you couldn't do that. Now I have a airplane with differential thrust (half -3/4 of a year after I got my wings), and it can't do that either.

Hubert
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at HiTec.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:11 PM
acdii

Hitec is a good choice too. I don't know if it is still true, but you could use Hitec RX with Futaba and vis versa. Either the Flash 8 or the Aurora 9 would suit most planes and flying styles.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

I fly some expensive pattern airplanes with Specktrum and some expensive pattern planes with Futaba. In 15 years, I have never had a problem with either brand of radio. My advice is to set your budget and buy the radio priced closest to what you set aside. In the end you won't get a bad radio. The only issue you might face is buying features that you will never use.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by tailskid
Did you convert your 9Cap to 2.4?
Nope, going to send it in to Radio South and have the 75MHz module and all my receivers retuned to 72 MHz instead. I could buy a 2.4 module for it but don't see the point, not yet anyway. When you consider it's roughly 10 years old, I think it's time for a checkup anyway
Old 02-11-2017, 06:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A question that hasn't been asked yet to the OP is what are your plans for the hobby? If it's a few basic park flyers and simple scale planes and maybe a quad or helicopter, a 6 channel radio will be enough. If you want to fly any of the ultra micro planes from Horizon (very popular) you'll have to get a Spektrum radio. If those don't interest you, I'll second the opinion that Futaba builds a better radio with a more reliable radio link to the plane. If your plans are more ambitious with more complicated planes in your future, you'll need to get more radio. For example, if you want to fly a scale like Mustang you'll need dual ailerons, retracts, and flaps. That will take at least 7 channels, 8 if you also have a tail retract. Dual servos for the flaps push you up to 9, and if it's a gasser you'll need an ignition cutoff which gets you to 10. Many pattern planes only need 5 channels to fly, but then radio features become an issue. You'll want a fully programmable radio for mixes and flight modes, which means going to a mid-grade radio at least.

IMHO, if you want to fly the Horizon "Bind and Fly" planes, get a Spektrum DX8. It has good programming, plenty of model memory, and is fairly well made. If those planes don't interest you, I'd look at the Hitec Aurora 9. It's an old radio but well proven. And it's the only multiple protocol radio on the market which gives you the option of using Tactic receivers. There is a small line of "Bind and fly" planes using the Tactic protocol, so that's a bonus. Futaba's 8-10 channel radios are well made also.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 AM
krokodyl

True, I kinda assumed that he wasn't going into gassers or complex setups, since he doesn't have a club. Horizon makes lot's of parkflyers, which is why I recommended spektrum.

I'd like to see evidence that futaba has a "better" link. FASST may be a bit better. FHSS, I think isn't as robust a DSMX. People have lost planes over spektrum, and blame the protocol. There is alot more to go wrong than the protocol. People have lost planes with fuataba, mostly due to faulty or poor designed receivers.

Maybe modern futaba radios are built better. I took apart a 6ex, and wasn't impressed with the soldering whatsoever.

I fly spektrum, and will continue to do so until there is a CONFIRMED loss of signal, due to the protocol.

Hubert
Old 02-12-2017, 08:31 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

All I have on the protocol question is anecdotes. I don't think the engineering for the Spektrum protocol or radio design is at fault. It's probably an excellent design. But of all the brands out there, Spektrum leads the industry in unexplained crashes by far. To be fair, they also lead the industry in radio sales, especially to new pilots, so I'm sure that's a factor. But no other brands has even close to the number of experienced pilots who swear their setup was good and had everything right and just lost control for no apparent reason that Spektrum has. Maybe it's a lingering manufacturing issue, maybe it's cut rate parts, maybe it's bad quality control, or maybe it really is the design. I personally think Spektrum is in too big a rush to get the next big whiz bang product on the market and doesn't do enough real world testing. Being in a hurry can lead to all of the above problems. I started this hobby just as 2.4ghz radios were coming on the market. Spektrum was first, then Futaba, and then everybody else. Futaba had heat issues very early, but fixed them quickly. Aside from that, no other brand has been plagued by reliability issues like Spektrum has. Even the cheap FRSky radios have a good reputation for reliability.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM
krokodyl

Yeah, I see what you are saying. But, I'm sure that there are more spektrum radios out there. So, Of course the number of fails has to be higher aswell. I wish I could see this ratio. Amount of people who own spektrum: amount who have had a "lockout". Not only for spektrum, but for all brands. That way we could get a fair comparison. After all, you have to take into account all of the thousands who use spektrum, and never had a problem. I, personnaly think that the problem (if there even is one) is not in the protocol, but something in the rx, that has nothing to do with the RF.

I also wonder how many recent problems there are. Many of them were with DSM2, and the old receivers which brownedout at a higher voltage.

Hubert
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM
acdii

I have both brands, and have had issues only with Spektrum. One issue was brownout related, never caused a crash, but it was due to a BEC, but the other issues were signal loss. OTOH, never did the JR have an issue using the same RX. The DX8 and DX6i were both involved with link issues.

When you look at the quality of the radios themselves, it does seem that the ones having the greater issues are the DX6i and DX8 and they personally look cheap compared to some of the others. The DX8 price wise is on par with the Futaba 8FGS, and the Futaba just looks higher quality from the start. The JR 12X though is a $1500 radio and looks it.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:10 PM
kdunlap

So, this threads spirals back into "Spektrum stinks.' Not helping this guy out at all.

My experience reading thousands of posts here is that problem #1 is pilot error and problem #2 is not knowing the demand all of your servos are placing on your plane's electrical system.

Typical "I hate Spektrum threads" goes like this: "Hi, I had 8 digital high torque servos connected to my unregulated 4.8v battery pack and had (choose 1) a brown out or my airplane crashed. Don't you agree that's it's Spektrum's fault and they owe me a new airplane?" Sorry, but you have to get away from the 80's mentality that you can plug anything and everything into a receiver and the receiver will still function. Today's servo's -especially digital- create higher draw than the servos of yesterday. So, you need to have an electrical system appropriate to the power draw. To include a buffer for a stalled servo.

Trying to put fear out there when a guy is trying to pick out a radio is just sad.

Last edited by kdunlap; 02-14-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM
acdii

Or maybe if you read my post again, you will see that one radio performed like crap, while another radio performed perfectly well, WITH THE SAME DAMNED RX!!!! But, no, instead you clearly say I don't now jack about my planes.

Nice bubba.

Plane did not change, same battery, same servos, but the TX itself changed from a DX8 to a JR 12x. Plane flew without any incidents after that. So what does that tell you?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM
kdunlap

I hope you feel better now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.