Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

removing stuck gasket on a Glow engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

removing stuck gasket on a Glow engine

Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default removing stuck gasket on a Glow engine

Guys, my OS .50 Glow engine sat a few years and I removed the back plate to see if the bearings were rusted, all is good but the gasket broke apart, and some of it is stuck badly to the case,

I'm just wondering how some of you would remove the remaining stuck gasket without damaging the case ?

thanks !!

Jim
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well you're going to need a new one, so plan on either making one or order a new one. I'd soak the area where the broken gasket is with raw fuel first, then try scraping with a finger nail or sharp edge of a Popsicle stick. Worse case scenario, scrape carefully with a new double edge razor blade. Brake cleaner might also loosen it up. It's not rocket science, but try not scrape or scratch the metal.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:31 AM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, for the most part I agree with Tom Nied, but I would never, ever use a double edge razor blade. I would and have used a single edge razor blade with success.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	single edge.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	2202908  

Last edited by 2 Piece; 02-27-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 AM
icemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy your self a can of CRC chisel gasket remover. It will soften and lift the gasket
Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 AM
carlgrover

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I use buffing pads from Harbor freight in a die grinder. A die grinder is pretty much a dremel tool on steroids that's air powered. The buffing pads are only a couple bucks plus you'll need the mandrel. They will not hurt metal and will zip off any gasket in seconds.

I use them for pretty much any gasket that has to be removed. I did one for the differential in my pickup last weekend.

carl
Old 02-28-2017, 01:28 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a piece of plastic like a frost scrapper sharpen it and scrape it off
Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I use buffing pads from Harbor freight in a die grinder. A die grinder is pretty much a dremel tool on steroids that's air powered. The buffing pads are only a couple bucks plus you'll need the mandrel. They will not hurt metal and will zip off any gasket in seconds.

I use them for pretty much any gasket that has to be removed. I did one for the differential in my pickup last weekend.

carl
There's a big difference between a steel diff case and an aluminum engine block. If you're going to use any kind of grinder, especially on aluminum, you need to use a very lite touch and the finest grit material you can get to remove the gasket. At my job, we use pneumatic die grinders and drill motors to remove primer from aluminum and you would be amazed at how much metal is removed from a the surface just in the buffing process.
I would stick to removing the gasket material by hand with plastic scrapers or a single edge razor as the damage they could cause is much less than that of a powered tool
Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
X-ato nr 11 blade