Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

engine size for particular cessna

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

engine size for particular cessna

Old 03-05-2017, 05:09 AM
beigemonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine size for particular cessna

Hello All,
New to the site and to the hobby. Picked up what seems to be an older arf kit. A beautiful Cessna Skywagon 185. Seems to have come out in the early 2000's. Builld going well and having fun with it. Lot's to learn obviously.
I'm now at the point where it's time to install an engine and wondering about size. Any guidance would be appreciated.
The Skywagon is a Kondor product and has a wingspan of 87". Also has floats and I believe the flying weight is going to be about 18 lbs give or take. I picked up a Zenoah G23 twp stroke gas that I think might work. Trouble is I saw an old thread on this site dating back to 2002 and noticed a bunch of chat where guys were putting 30cc engines in theirs. So now I'm in doubt and don't want to do the wrong thing.
My other conundrum is that I bought the kit from an older guy that had it hanging around his garage for years. The directions that came with the plane indicates that a 120 engine is recommended. I thought that would be a good guide to find a comparable gas 2 stroke but the trouble is that the directions (which appear to be for the 185) erroneously indicates that the model wing span is 73" when it's actually 87". So another reason to question what engine I'd be safe with using. Just want to eventually fly the plane. Not looking to be the guy with the bigger engine or do fancy tricks. This is my first plane and I still haven't flown yet.
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Posted earlier but think I put it in the wrong category.
Norm
Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably won't be happy with a G23. My 16lb cub (105" wingspan) with a G26 was not really overpowered and it had a bigger wingspan, higher lift airfoil, and lighter wing loading than you're going to end up with. I would jump up to a 30cc or 35cc.