Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Easiest 8 Channel Programmable Radio to learn for beginner....

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Easiest 8 Channel Programmable Radio to learn for beginner....

Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM
crash whiplash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Easiest 8 Channel Programmable Radio to learn for beginner....

In this age of computers and programming what is the easiest eight channel radio to learn to program… I'm 60 years old and do all-right on computers but I bought a Futaba 8U a few years ago and read the manual and bought aftermarket programming material and still struggle with it greatly... so I want to buy a new radio, money is not an object, and I want to be able to program it myself at home… What would you recommend as being ultra easy and maybe intuitive?

I have multiple airplanes some with retracts, some with flaps some require four channels and some require eight....
Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like you, I have a hard time in understanding Futaba's logic in programming radios. I have found the Hitec Aurora 9 to be a TX that I'm capable of successfully programming. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW5633&P=0

The manual is well written, and easy to understand. I'm not a geek on this stuff, and I can't go into all the technical data. I can tell you that my Aurora has been a good radio, and the receivers are reasonably priced.

The Aurora 9 should do everything that you want your transmitter to do.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 AM
jetmech05

The radio you have will be fine. I understand the programming issues. Get with an instructor and he'll show you how simple programming the radio is.
By the way an instructor is the simplest and cheapest way to learn.
look on the AMA website for local clubs
i had the same issue when I bought my 9 cap years ago took the radio to the field and no more issues
Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you have to just play with the Futaba 8U more. I've had the same feelings when I'm faced with a new transmitter. Get it charged up Tx and a Rx, and with the manual, start going through it. Usually I start seeing a pattern but sometimes I have to look something up. I've always felt computers/computer radios are like going into a house for the first time. You enter (on off switch), and then you go in and out of different rooms, adjusting that rooms features. I'd say, just play with it more. It looks like a good radio. http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-8u.html
Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a forum on RCU devoted to radio gear with sub forums for the major manufacturers. BAX runs the Futaba sub forum and he is one of the good guys and will help you out if he can.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...ort-forum-125/
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM
crash whiplash

Thank you...good advice
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM
crash whiplash

I'll check out that forum!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a geek, dweeb and a tech. I have used the 9x radio. I did like the unlimited programming it offers. But man o man was it a pain to do some simple things. Just to setup a 3 position switch and slow the servo for the flaps took me almost an hour. So in a fit of anger and frustration, I bought an i10.

The i10 has a color touch screen so you just point and touch. Took me about 10 minutes to setup the flaps on a 3 position switch and to slow the servos. It was easy peasey.

It comes with telemetry and you can add more sensors for speed, voltage, altitude and so on.

http://www.forcerc.com/fs-i10-transm...ge_R1_20170303

I have to say it is about the easiest radio I have programmed since my Airtronics VG6DR, all it had was servo reversing and dual rates.

Buzz.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:30 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Crash,Whiplash.,I Just got started on fixed wing and got a tactic 850 and receiver for under 200.00 bucks The first one had a bad pot and the folks at tower hobbies replaced it with a new one NO Problem. I am 80 years old Hate computers and most electronics ,But once I got the hang of it (by trial and error I Love it.So cool when I can program a servo to move at a snails pace or really fast,able to reverse servo direction etc.I am still learning but I think it's great S.T.C. Good luck
Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Like you, I have a hard time in understanding Futaba's logic in programming radios. I have found the Hitec Aurora 9 to be a TX that I'm capable of successfully programming. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW5633&P=0

The manual is well written, and easy to understand. I'm not a geek on this stuff, and I can't go into all the technical data. I can tell you that my Aurora has been a good radio, and the receivers are reasonably priced.

The Aurora 9 should do everything that you want your transmitter to do.

What Tom said.

Ken
Old 04-15-2017, 02:54 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I think you have to just play with the Futaba 8U more. I've had the same feelings when I'm faced with a new transmitter. Get it charged up Tx and a Rx, and with the manual, start going through it. Usually I start seeing a pattern but sometimes I have to look something up. I've always felt computers/computer radios are like going into a house for the first time. You enter (on off switch), and then you go in and out of different rooms, adjusting that rooms features. I'd say, just play with it more. It looks like a good radio. http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-8u.html
This is excellent advice from Tom. I too still fly a Futaba 8UAF that I upgraded to 2.4 with a FrSky module. I agree that sometimes the Futaba way of programming can be a bit daunting at first, but spending some time reading the manual and doing stuff sure helps. The stock Futaba manual is certainly a bit fuzzy in lots of areas but there was a manual written by Don Edberg that makes programming this series of Futaba radios dead simple, hopefully it is still available.

Last edited by karolh; 04-15-2017 at 04:08 PM.