Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nitro to gas conversation would a 10cc gasser work in place of a .46 nitro?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nitro to gas conversation would a 10cc gasser work in place of a .46 nitro?

Old 04-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Wildvortex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro to gas conversation would a 10cc gasser work in place of a .46 nitro?

I have a Great Planes Corsair 40 with a super tiger .46 nitro in it. A guy is offering a trade of his RCGF 10CC rear exhaust for my OS 160 FX. Will that 10cc work well in the Corsair?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:08 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Wildvortex Just an opinion here and that sure seems like a bad deal and plan. Personally the OS 160 sure seems to be a much more valuable as well as useful engine possibly down the line.

Will the 10cc work well in the corsair? I suspect it certainly will fly it But! How much fun will it be and how much more skill will it require of you, which is always the case with an underpowered airplane Remember if the airplane is decked out with retracts and flaps and all the associated servos and stuff, to that you will now have to add an ignition module and more importantly an extra motor battery pack as well as the associated extra switch.

Most of the successful conversions of warbirds normally called forty or sixty size to gas I have seen and participated in, start with 15cc engines and my favorite the OS15GT.

Only just my opinion

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 04-02-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Wildvortex

That was what I was thinking myself but have never had the thought to convert any of them.figured I would want at least a 20cc gasser.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Wildvortex

This is just a plane Jane. No flaps and no retracts. Who else makes a 15cc besides OS. Not up to that 300 price tag for a little 40 size plane
Old 04-03-2017, 04:16 AM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $300 my LHS will sell me 16.6 gallons of 10% glow fuel. That would keep that 40 size G.P. Corsair flying for a long time.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Wildvortex

Yah, have about 10 gallons of nitro myself. I was asking because someone wanted to trade me a 10cc for my OS 160FX. I backed out of that deal. Would have taken it for a saito, OS or even an Evo but was a rcgc or something. Hobby King sells it for $200.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Wildvortex

Having problems getting the nitro to idle down enough. Another reason I was considering it.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Wildvortex View Post
Having problems getting the nitro to idle down enough. .

Get another prop, longer and flatter. Experiment, one inch longer and one inch less pitch
Old 04-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Wildvortex

Having problems getting the nitro to idle down enough. Another reason I was considering it.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Wildvortex

I could see how that would help. I am using the recommended prop size though.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:44 AM
Wildvortex

Sorry for the double post. Was showing up like I had not yet posted it.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:31 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Wildvortex View Post
. I am using the recommended prop size though.
Means nothing more than a starting point. Try a longer flatter prop.John
Old 04-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Wildvortex

Will do as it will put my prop much further past the cowling. Thanks
Old 04-03-2017, 08:27 PM
the Wasp

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree about the longer prop,, a longer prop will give more "Flywheel effect" , sorry I can not give an opinion on what size, I have not flown a 40 size engine in many years,

another thing that may "may" help with the prop you use now is to try a Hotter plug, so if you use the OS8 try an OS7

Jim
Old 04-04-2017, 04:09 AM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCGF has a nice 15cc gas engine - I have two of them myself!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 AM
Wildvortex

Originally Posted by G.Barber View Post
RCGF has a nice 15cc gas engine - I have two of them myself!

Thanks for that info, I am going to stick with the nitro for now. I have plenty of fuel, and have recently spent enough on planes. I was only considering because the offer was made to me.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:32 AM
Wildvortex

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
I agree about the longer prop,, a longer prop will give more "Flywheel effect" , sorry I can not give an opinion on what size, I have not flown a 40 size engine in many years,

another thing that may "may" help with the prop you use now is to try a Hotter plug, so if you use the OS8 try an OS7

Jim
Haven't tried a hotter plug on this one.
Thing is I get it down close to a good idle and it cuts out entirely, no sputter or anything. So, I don't think a larger prop will help. I do get the flywheel effect though. I have been running 15% am considering trying 20% in it. The great thing is that I have access to the fuel and props without coughing up the cash.
Currently I have other things on my plate as I am in the middle of finishing the trim work on my new build room. Hope to have it done today for the most part. Then I can get organized a bit and working on these planes.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Wouldn't buy RCGF. Every one that I have seen or worked on, didn't run well, no power, and just a plan aggravation at the field. Stay with the OS .40-.46 until you can afford to purchase a quality brand engine. You will be happier in the long run. I have seen all of the alphabet engines come out and there are only a few quality engines that are gas. Zenoah, DA, haven't work on an OS, but probably an OS, Saito gas and glow. IF you want to fly when you get to the field, pay the $300 for the engine or stick with what you have now. IF you want to work on engines at the field, then buy your RCGF and let us know how you are doing during the first month of ownership. The old saying, "You get what you pay for" never applied more to RCGF.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Wildvortex

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner View Post
Means nothing more than a starting point. Try a longer flatter prop.John
Picked up a larger prop today. Hope to try it tomorrow. If I get time.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:54 AM
Wildvortex

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan View Post
Wouldn't buy RCGF. Every one that I have seen or worked on, didn't run well, no power, and just a plan aggravation at the field. Stay with the OS .40-.46 until you can afford to purchase a quality brand engine. You will be happier in the long run. I have seen all of the alphabet engines come out and there are only a few quality engines that are gas. Zenoah, DA, haven't work on an OS, but probably an OS, Saito gas and glow. IF you want to fly when you get to the field, pay the $300 for the engine or stick with what you have now. IF you want to work on engines at the field, then buy your RCGF and let us know how you are doing during the first month of ownership. The old saying, "You get what you pay for" never applied more to RCGF.
I hate hearing that about RCGF. I was given a NIB RCGF 50 for a Corsair build I will be doing in the future.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:14 PM
the Wasp

you may need to change both, a Hotter plug and a longer prop, a Hotter plug will stay lit better and burn more fuel at idle, so it should produce a smoother idle, and with ether or both you may also need to adjust your idle screw and or adjust your idle RPM on your Tx,,

note that a restricting muffler can be a terrible
thing on a glow engine, it can choke up your combustion and produce a week fuel tank pressure, also, for starters only go up 1 inch longer on the prop unless you have a very short prop,,

also note that a Hotter plug in many cases produces better throttle responds at lower Stick settings, and may lower your Top RPM a bit, but if your engine runs better with a Hotter plug so be it, because that is what you want and need,,, if your ever hear a "Naa Naa Naa Naa" sound from your engine the idle is too-too lean,

BTW, use a quality plug, I have no respect for a cheap brand

Jim

Old 04-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Wildvortex

I run OS plugs. The engine called for a 11x6 prop. I found a 12x6 3 blade. Yes it is a big jump but was what was around. Besides the 11x6 was swollowed up by cowling. Will see how that goes.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
JohnBuckner

Wildvortex I think you missed a key point here. I stated its likely you needed a "Longer -Flatter" prop. You seemed to have only read the Longer part and ignored the flatter part. If you only increased the diameter and used the same pitch without reducing the pitch you are going to induce even more severe running problem. Adding also a blade is going to be even worse than that.

The prop you stated you were using was a 11x6 a longer, flatter prop would have been a 12x5 and that was my suggestion period. Putting that 12x6 three blade on your airplane is certain to cause disaster due to severe overheating shortly after launch.

John
Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Wildvortex

Maby I will just go back to the two blade the guy was running when I purchased it. Ugly but I guess that would be the best place to start. Stopping buy a friend who passed away and had horded RC stuff maby I can find a flatter one. Guess it was best that I didn't put it up on the test bench then. Maby he will have a 11x5. 11x6 is recommended in a two blade. Had put a 10x6 3 blade, what was available at the time. Possibly look for a 12x4 if they even make one.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
the Wasp

John said it true,

"an APC 11x6" oow,,, I would think that would be the biggest prop you would want to put on a .40 size engine, even a 46,, cause I have an APC 11x8 on my OS 61Fx, and I use it because a 12 inch'er will pull my plane around at idle,

you may have a bit of an air leak on your engine somewhere, try tightening up your Back Plate screws and loosening the Carburetor and push down on it and re-tighten it,

BTW, what OS plug do you use ??, if it's a #10 it should be an #8 or #7,, and if it has "letters" on it, it too is the wrong plug

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.