Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

pros and cons on 3 blade props

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

pros and cons on 3 blade props

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons on 3 blade props

New at this,Wht are the pros and cons on 3 blade props? are the sizes the same way any other info is helpful. Thanks STC
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

A three blade prop is not as efficient and a two blade prop. Meaning a two is better at pushing the air. Two's are better for two stroke engine because of the high RPM's. The three is good if you have prop clearance issues. If you use an 11x7 two blade you would go with a 10x6 three blade.

For me, two blade is all I use. I have tried the three blade but wasn't satisfied with the performance. I like to burn holes in the sky so I like speed.

But when the planes are on the ground those three bladers sure do look nice.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Thanks 4star 40 Amen to the three blade looking good,yeah I am being self taught quite a learning process.Lots of hot glue etc.It just dawned on me noone can count the number of blades when it is in the air..Thanks again S.T.C.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:16 AM
jetmech05

First off props don't push air. You are correct about two blades being more efficient than a 3 blade.
The advantange of a 3 blade is it will slow you down on downlines and on approach. It gives you better ground clearence on a similar two blade prop. It's also quieter than a similar 2 blade prop.
When I say similar than a 2 blade prop, the rule of thumb is down an inch but up in pitch when comparing a 2 blade to a 3 blade.
the disadvantage is when handling the plane there seems to always be a prop blade in the way.
you need a 3 blade spinner.
i fly giant scale, one of the things we are judged on during competion is noise. So all I fly is carbon fiber 3 blades