Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

many questions on build?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

many questions on build?

Old 04-30-2017, 12:41 PM
moparbob498

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default many questions on build?

Hello everyone, I'm building a Pica Spitfire 88" & well has anyone made a pressurized air box/filtration system? Sorta like a Paxton supercharger on the Grand Spalding MoPars in the late 60's- early 70's... except using a small electric fan, radio controlled (obviously) to turn on off boost..-? now doing that, will the pressure being used to pump fuel become an issue, causing flooding? Too lean 😨... Also, a friend had a keychain of a turbo, made very well, not pot metal junk, anyway could that be installed in the exhaust somewhere & piped into airbox/tube for increase in throttle ect.. and finally is it worth it? I like the functional exhaust tubes on the nitro/gas engines - sounds magnificent to me, hope these aren't dumb questions, don't want to throw money & time away
Old 05-01-2017, 04:15 AM
moparbob498

Wow, nothing after 52 people? Ok- peace out fellas'
Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OS has a 120 with a supercharger, and one of the car motors use one too. You may try a thread from there. I think they are tempermental, like a tuned pipe.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 AM
moparbob498

Hey, ya..Thank you, I had read about a fella having issues with his supercharged engine, and I put my .02¢ in... Using "real world" diagnosis ...Best word I can think of at the moment, & hate to complain since I'm new, but I'm getting the same vibes here as I did at the drag strip- because I ran a MoPar, & everyone else was in the brand X - that's their choice & I shouldn't have been chastised as I was...That just made me build a very nasty bracket/street car, then proceeded to put "brand X" racers on the trailer to go home. Anyway, can't do that anymore due to injuries, disabled now..And going insane because I'm unable to do anything anymore....I loved the thread 50+. I'm only 47, but my grandfather raised me, mom & Dad- bailed...& Truthfully, I thank God he raised me, due to that I look at the world thru old generation eyes, I feel as though anyway....All the Heathkit stuff he built , mesmorized me & it stuck...Thank you grandpap, I lost him in 1991.. & miss him dearly.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That "Real World", the one the kids in expensive colleges always are afraid to participate in. I checked a few videos of the keychain supercharger. Most of them just spin up, but one seems to have the two chambers joined, and may do something, at least on a 4 stroke. They were all rc car models. Mopars.. well I guess I do have one. Just because it is cute though, and I like the street rods. PT Cruiser. They make a pretty mean car, gotta watch the transmissions.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 AM
moparbob498

Well, I'm just wanting advice, opinions, of people who have done /tried/failed/successful... I figured tuning would be so-so, taught myself how to install and tune mechanical fuel injection on my car,- poked & stroked 440- out to 498 pretty easy once you get all that carburetor tech outta your head as mostly everything is backwards, smaller jet- richens & emulsifies fuel, ect..Ect..Blowers are canned heat also, scheww, one helluva learning curve.. Anyhow I started with model planes (my grandpap was awesome) mostly plastic, I didn't get into the balsa planes until a few years ago, and I am bitten by the RC bug, I love modifying & making reliability/durability #1- ya, if it crashes, it's re-kitted' ok,.. I'll build another 1..A great read on RC scale builder, "FW 190 A•3, 89" - I would like to say, I have the same ambition as him, he is extremely skilled, & be builds his stuff as I do, research, draft it out, ect..Ect..& most of the time, it works out great..
Well back to my Spit', which by the way, has difficult instructions to follow, so I'm glad I have some skill,.. good Lord
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150902_133758432_HDR.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	959.5 KB
ID:	2212868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150902_133628108.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	865.4 KB
ID:	2212869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150902_133658994.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	940.7 KB
ID:	2212870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170502_111026327.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	2212871  
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No use reinventing the wheel. YS makes some very fine supercharged engines. DisplacementS from 70 up to 185 four strokes.

Ken

Edit: The DZ series engines are also fuel injected. Some are available with spark ingnition.

Last edited by kenh3497; 05-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fan is not going to do anything. Might be a good idea for cooling. Probably not sized right but this TowerHobbies.com | RB Innovations 1/5 Supercharger HPI Baja
I will probably be building a 1/5 pica spit next.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Calvinman

Hi MoparBob, nice car!! bet that made you sink back into the seat I wanted to talk my buddy into pressurizing the airbox on his seadoo with a ducted fan way back. He wouldn't let me though

Calvi
Old 05-11-2017, 12:55 PM
moparbob498

Ok,....Well here's my spit' so far
Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM
moparbob498

Ok,....Well here's my spit' so far & thank you for the kind comments on my Coronet...What an adrenaline rush she was

Name:	tmp_4753-IMG_20170505_170728886_HDR-1097227355.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	2214544   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_4753-IMG_20170505_220420372-1931256686.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2214545  
Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 PM
moparbob498

Now I like the Baja supercharger set up, what I'm trying to do is like the Paxton supercharger set up on the grand Spalding dodges in 69-72 - fuel pressure should be auto adjust (vacum/pressure regulated) - engine is just an air pump, & a ducted fan in a sealed airbox, wouldn't that help a warbird fly with broad torque power? Remember guys, I'm a X- drag racer, machinist ect..Ect.. I like to tinker...Not looking for Lamborghini - sr71 stats on my warbirds, but geeze I thought building & trying new things out was part of the hobby?? Am I wrong in that aspect? - either way I'm going to try the fan/airbox thing, already have cooling port ducting to wing out let's design, next pic's I hope to show, & if I'm just wasting my time, it will look cool & innovative at least...I also like the cordless screw driver assembly converted to landing gear, gonna give that a whack also
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you are going to get very far with your blower on a model engine, but don't let that stop you from trying. You may be the guy that figures it out. Somebody has to, may as well be you, right. That mopar thing............. Don't know. Here is my Street car, 434 inch blown alky small block. I see you only run hat lines. Gasoline I presume? On alky I run hat lines and manifold injectors. Of course we have someone follow us with fuel jugs in the truck. Good luck and please keep us posted on your results. If you have questions along the way ask, we may be able to help.

Scott

Name:	DSCN2558.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2214747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2490.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2214748   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	756.2 KB
ID:	2214749  
Old 05-13-2017, 06:27 AM
moparbob498

That's a sweet Camaro...Is it a 70-&1/2 by chance? & Hat lines only, ran e85 -&- e98.. it was @107 octane (e85) - when you mixed your own blend -112 - 114 octane (e98) blowers = canned heat...Good lord, had x2 - 1150 up doms converted to e85- throttle response, insane..Fuel system unable to provide, switched to mech. injection, neverooked back, have 3 spools, gas,e85,-alky, loved the e85 set up, no reason to goto high maintenance alky, ran my car on the street (he-he) uhh, neighbors & poe-leece frowned upon that,+ health issues, she had to go ��
So, is anyone familiar with the grand Spalding Paxton supercharger set ups from the 70's? Carb / airbox - sealed unit on my radio I have a dial for my flaps, (like a rheostat jobbie) I was going to use that to control the amount of pwr, hence boost (so to speak) supplied, being a sealed unit now, the fuel pressure to tank needs addressed I would think? And I don't see why that wouldn't work? Smaller engine, more pwr. output, lighter plane,? Am I missing something guys? Like I said, X-drag racer- so much tech info on here & scale builder, I can't stop reading, & I have a spit calling me to be caressed...lol... Thanks for the input everybody...
Old 05-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a 70&1/2. I just read my post again, and I think I condensed the message a little too much. I don't own the car, I am just the engine builder.

I remember the Paxton blower/carb system well. They kind of worked. The problem with blowing through any carb is the carb. A carburetor is a siphon, the low pressure area in the venturi draws the fuel. Adding pressure causes problems. The boost tends to push the fuel out of the carb. The paxton setup pressurized the entire carb and raised the fuel pressure as the boost came up. They still suffered from "Rich in the middle - Lean on top" syndrome. Any leak around the throttle linkage caused problems. Most superchargers draw through the carb, but on a Paxton the length of the plumbing causes major throttle response issues.

Scott
Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 AM
moparbob498

See, that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you! My thinking on this was: should be easy to seal carb/airbox, throttleinkage, I was thinking small sickness hose, fuel pressure, not knowing yet, use exhaust pulse pressure?? Cont4ol it somehow?? I just thought it would be cool to have a nitros oxide type of power if "ever" needed... wouldn't it help in aerobic type manuvers or ?? Engine builder- awesome...! I liked building stuff people say -"you can't do that!, It'll never work....What's the point? Because I can, & for my sanity - see if I can & was it worth it? I was very competitive at the drag strip, & that rubbed a bunch of peeps the wrong way? Later I found those people have NO understanding of their machines, just a checkbook, electronic race car, flip switch, floor it, let of button, car shifts itself, throttle control ect.. to me, racing g hasost it's base roots...I was a foot brake racer,- different class, but on Pro Am weekends, all classes combine, then you see the ball babies.... Good lord, track favorites ect... Seems to be like that in many areas in life, I have learned, sorry off topic ...Anyways, I built my 68 from a rolling chassis- my dad pooped when I brought it home, I saw it for what it's going to be,..Everyone else looked at it as a P-O-S...
Imagine that