Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ciano hinges.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 PM
stearman70

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ciano hinges.

Hello. When I put hinges using cyano, are a little harsh... Can anyone tell me in any way to soften them once implemented? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No. You may have used too much CyA when you installed them. Three or four drops on each side of each hinge is plenty. If you use to much they get stiff. Other than moving the control surface back and forth quite a lot I don't think there's anything you can do, and I don't think that's likely to help much either, but trying it won't do any harm.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:31 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Use fuzzy mylar hinges. Draw a line on the hinge line using a Crayola, BOTH SIDES!

Fit all hinges WITHOUT USING CYANO.

When you are happy with operation of the surface, drill a 1mm hole from underneath into middle 1/2 hinge. Just pierce the mylar. Do not drill all the way through.

Apply 2 drops of thin cyano. Clip the very end off a toothpick, apply one drop of thick slow cyano to the hole and push in the toothpick till you feel it hit the mylar. Clip the toothpick 1 mm from the surface and push it through the mylar but stopping before it goes righ through.

If anal about appearance apply film patches over the holes.

I have seen many people fly models with out the toothpicks relying on the cyano but I am a belt and braces man where safety is concerned. Many clubs require that hinges are pinned.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Stearman. It is vital that you use only thin CA never, ever medium. Another thing that can cause excessively stiff hinges is pushing the surface to tight iinto the wing or stab an not allowing a tiny gap.

Here if an old trick that also helps with excessive stiffness use a childs Crayon to draw a straight line where the gap will be on both sides before installing. The wax will when the THIN CA is dripped in help to keep CA adhesion on the hingeline at a minimum.

John
Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Push a pin through the center of the hinge before you install it. The pin will make sure the hinge goes equally into both sides of the joint. The pin also provides just the right hinge gap when you push the surfaces together. Remove the pin after you drip thin CA on both sides of the joint.

Jim
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 AM
stearman70

Thanks for your quick answer. All of them very usefull. Thanks again.