Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Brand New Lipo Battery Swells

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Brand New Lipo Battery Swells

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Soccerdoug11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Lipo Battery Swells

Hello,
Just bought a E-flite 1200mm P-51 D Mustang "Blondie" (EFL8250). Along with two of the recommended batteries: E-flite 2200mah 11.1V 30C Lipos (EFLB22003S30). After the maiden flight when I went to take the battery out of the tray, and it was extremely puffed out and hot to the touch. Thinking this was a fluke battery, I put the second pack thru (possibly a bad idea now that I think about it) and same thing, battery puffed out and very hot. Called Horizon, they said I used the wrong batteries, even though those were recommenced in the manual and the website. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?. Only else I could think of would be the ESC but I would rather not cut my brand new plane, and pay $100 for it.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:42 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So what battery did they indicate was the right battery??
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Soccerdoug11

They said the 25c version, which made no sense to me.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How many min did you fly on each battery. New batteries need a break in of short easy flights for 3 to 4 flights. Maybe you over did it and pulled the voltage to low.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Soccerdoug11

I set my timer for 4:00 and flew about 1/2 throttle except for takeoff where I went 3/4. The horizon rep asked me to to hook it up to my charger to read the voltage and one battery read 3.81v on all 3 cells, and the other read 3.85v on all 3 cells.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:24 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I am being an EXTRA CAREFUL Jones here but I would treat those puffed batteries as if they were unexploded bombs. I would have them out of the house and keep them in a metal container.well away from anything flammable.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had nothing but problems with EFlite batteries, so I don't use them anymore. .
Old 06-02-2017, 05:50 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some E-Flite batteries I have such as 3S3200 are great. The 4S2800 all puffed up and were terrible. The Kinexis batteries I got from Horizon were a total waste of money. All puffed up in a month or two. I typically run 4 min too and never at full throttle all the time

Batteries seem to be a roll of the dice. I have some 3S2200 Glacier batteries that I have been using for years. I have several Venom batteries that have been great and all I plan to buy in the future. They also have a lifetime warranty, whatever that means but if they last a few years I will be happy

Good luck
Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

just because they have c rating doesnt mean they can stay cool enough to survive at that discharge rate.. . over discharge and overheating cause puffing... you probably need more airflow ovr them...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I have the eflite P-51 and I use 3 cell 2200ma 30c packs without any issues. Sounds like you either got sold bad batteries or there is something going on with the esc. What you are reporting is not normal at all assuming of course you haven't changed things like prop etc.. I fly a few laps at full power and then about 60-65% throttle the rest of the time. My 3 year old batteries come out barely warm. Someone at Horizon fed you a load of crap about those batteries in my opinion.

OBTW, my packs were $10 each from Hobby People. Bet you paid a lot more for the Eflite.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Jennifer Curtis

Does anyone else think a 10.5 x 8 four blade prop
is too much for a 15 size Motor?

Jenny
Old 07-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Hortco

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is some great advice;
Switch to glow power!
I started out flying all electric but due to battery issues like you are having I switched to glow power and have never looked back!
I love glow engines now! My foamies are gathering dust and I don't even care!
I also have two Gasoline planes!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis
Does anyone else think a 10.5 x 8 four blade prop
is too much for a 15 size Motor?

Jenny
Yep. Any 4 blade is too much really but a 10.5" is huge. I think you mean electric, and in that case I would use what is recommended or pretty close. Otherwise check the amp draw, as that could toast batteries. If glow then a 7-5" or 8-4" two blade is a good start. Oh, ya I like the glow best, nothing but battery hassles for me. I let them sit too long probably.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that all lipo batteries puff sooner are later with use, IMO if we discarded every battery as soon as it puffed we would not get much use out most of them. I do keep my batteries in a lipo sack or a metal container.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone contemplating electrics would be well advised to invest in a watt meter and a battery checker. Simply plug the watt meter between the battery and esc and run the model up to full throttle. The draw is right there on the screen no guessing how much your motor/prop combo draws. Too close to the max you can reduce diameter or pitch which will reduce the draw.

As has been mentioned heat as well as amp draw and how far you take them down will effect the swelling of the pack..

I store my batteries in a steel ammo box with a 1/4 vent hole drilled behind the latch.

Dennis
Old 07-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I have found that all lipo batteries puff sooner are later with use, IMO if we discarded every battery as soon as it puffed we would not get much use out most of them. I do keep my batteries in a lipo sack or a metal container.
I have tried every Hobby Klunk brand and they don't perform as they should. Eflight not to impressed.

So far Thunder Power and Pulse have held up exceptionally well. No deformation and the packs perform just like new.

I use the Hobby Klunk stuff to power an electric starter LOL.

Dennis