Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Prop size?

Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop size?

Hey guys, I have an old weed wacker (gas) engine,How do I know what size prop to use on it? This is first time I ever used one. Thankyou.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you happen to know the displacement of the engine? That will be extremely helpful.

Here is a good read, notice the chart of prop sizes based on engine displacement:\
RC Airplane Propeller Size Guide

Hope this helps for now.
Rafael
Old 07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, a pic or some kind of description of the engine is needed really to get the best info. Is there any distinct labels, or markings on it? There's a few weedy based engines that are common really. Ryobi 31cc engines are very common... Zenoah is another that crosses over from weedy world to RC engines...those are in usually in the 20-26cc range of size. If it was either of these, I would start with about a 16" with probably a 6 pitch, which should be in the ball park if its any of the above mentioned engines... probably nothing bigger, at least to start with... weedy engines are great for models, but not necessarily on the high side for for power, still though very good, and very affordable if there's a budget involved. Also you can probably go with a similar fuel/oil ratio for the above engines to get your engine started and running... at least until you can nail down some stats on it.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by DGrant; 07-06-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Thanks much my friend,will do
Old 07-08-2017, 11:39 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's a whole forum I found on engine conversions. It looks like there's several topics of conversion discussed. Anything from glow-to-gas coversion, to weedy-to-plane conversion(which sounds like what you've got)... so you might post up what you're dealing with and get further info there as well. Someone that reads that forum might get you a good ID on the engine you have.

Engine Conversions - RCU Forums
Old 07-08-2017, 11:52 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Hey D Grant,Thanks for all the info,it will help alot. Peace my friend