Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

De-anodizing aluminum and Re-anodizing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

De-anodizing aluminum and Re-anodizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 AM
BrickitSAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question De-anodizing aluminum and Re-anodizing

I have an old really scratched up Cen racing Fun Factor with a purple chassis plate and would like to De-anodize it, then maybe anodize it red or black but I don't want to have to deal with the acid and having to keep it around forever. For De-anodizing I have read that oven cleaner or grease lightning will work, and they sound easy to do but my main question is, I know the anodize is there for a reason, to stop oxidation and to protect the chassis, what will removing it do? Will it decrease the lifetime of the plate or just leave it the same?
For Re-anodizing it, how far away do the electrodes need to be and what transformer would I need?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oven cleaner will remove anodizing. I've done it on some motorcycle parts. Aluminum forms a layer of "corrosion" almost immediately after it has been sanded of abraded. That layer of corrosion then protects the base metal from further corrosion unless something is there to promote it like a corrosive agent. For your purposes I would not worry about corrosion. I know little about anodizing but that it uses a dye for the color.

Ken
Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

To get anything close to a uniform color that would hold up I think you'd need more equipment than you're going to want to invest in for this. If the point is just to make it look good again, scuff it and paint it. If you want it to last, scuff it up and send it to be powdercoated.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 AM
BrickitSAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenh3497
Oven cleaner will remove anodizing. I've done it on some motorcycle parts. Aluminum forms a layer of "corrosion" almost immediately after it has been sanded of abraded. That layer of corrosion then protects the base metal from further corrosion unless something is there to promote it like a corrosive agent. For your purposes I would not worry about corrosion. I know little about anodizing but that it uses a dye for the color.

Ken
Ok, so removing anodize should not effect anything, I might do that then get it powder coated like jester said