Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote Matching Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote Matching Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:46 PM
vogelm1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ultracote Matching Paint

Guys - I've been using PPG Concept paint in the past for fiberglass cowls and wheel pants. Mixing recipes could be found online for the basic Ultracote colors which matched extremely well. The paint sprayed easy with great results. Problem now is the Concept line seems to be fading away - many of the tints used to custom mix the Ultracote colors are no longer available.

Is there another route I can go to achieve similar results? I've heard of Klass Kote being used...can pre-mixed pints be purchased that match the coverings we use? Thanks for any info out there!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get the covering color matched at the Home Depot and use latex paint with a clear coat on top. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-21-2017, 03:24 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iron a piece of the ultracote to a piece of balsa and take it to the place where you buy your automotive paints. They can use an optical scanner to determine the correct mix. I did it recently with 3 monokote colors and the matches were exact.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Nate, at KlassKote will custom mix. I consider it a little "pricey". I've never taken advantage of the service, but I have satisfied friends who have.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:42 AM
vogelm1

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I'll be exploring each of these a bit more as I won't have to worry about painting much until next spring.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 PM
DJH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KlasKote has the colors for most of the Ultra kote colors its not cheep but its worth the price Use as directed and its great
Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 AM
vogelm1

Will definitely check out KlassKote in my search and good to know they have pre-mixed colors. The PPG Concept that I'd been using was quite spendy too so no shocker on the price lol. Thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:30 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how far you want to go with matching, but these guys seem legit, and I will be using them later this year: www.wingswestrc.com
Old 04-24-2019, 03:05 PM
TimJ

I've used Wings West RC stuff as well. Can't go wrong.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A gentleman on one of the F.B. groups has been using artist acrylic paints. IIRC he uses the Liquitex brand From Hobby Lobby. They are very thick but highly loaded with pigment so still cover well when thinned to spray. I've used some of the craft acrylics with fair success. I always clear with automotive urethane to fuel proof. I will be giving the art acrylic a try next time around. Liquites also has a painting guide discussing mixing colors and making transparent paints like red and yellow cover better.

Ken
Old 04-26-2019, 05:09 PM
vogelm1

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions on paint guys! After giving this a bunch of thought, I'm going to give Klass Kote a try. It's closest to what I've been used to using (two-part mix single stage spray) and hoping the color match meets my expectations.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:45 AM
ChardMph

Many find the paint in special stores, you must ask a consultant right there how could you mix ultracote ones. You cannot find the same store in every city, this is why I would like you have specified where you need to take it from. I don't understand the need for that type of color, as any other kind could match your needs, and if you search enough, there could be ones that work better. I required custom paint when my child decided to paint something on the neighbor's metallic wall, and the service in the store explained everything and helped me out, this is why I suggest asking for advice in specialized places.