Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

routers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 05:06 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default routers

how many of you builders use small routers to make parts ?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a Porter Cable compact router (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...-450/203054718) that I use for various projects. I especially like ease and secure locking of the depth adjustment. I've never used it to make parts for a plane before, though. What type of parts are you thinking of making? For cutting formers and ribs on a regular basis, I would go with a CNC router. There are plenty of them out there.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:50 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my dremel with the optional router base. I also have one of the router tables for it and that is handy for trimming parts also I use it with an abrasive disc to make tracks for canopy tracks by slitting square brass tube.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I use a Dremel the same way, with a router base. It's much less expensive to buy a base than it is to buy a pin router
Old 03-26-2018, 03:33 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the dremel router table. I only use it to cut thin grooves here and there. I also have a 3 1/4 HP router that I use for making furniture. I've never used it for anything airplane related (I build giant scale too).

carl
Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I've used the router attachment on my dremel as well. It will even take a small "roto-zip" bit. I've used the roto-zip to cut aluminium cowls.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mainly want to use it for square cutting hardwood ply after I saw cut it . I have read that the dremel router
table is not a well made product , any problems with it?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:00 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I like my dremel router table. No problems with it and I consider it to be a quality product. Keep in mind that I've had mine for 20+ years. I don't know if they make them like they used to.

Funny thing about this thread. I haven't touched my router table for a dog's age and the day after I see this post, I need to use it.

carl
Old 03-28-2018, 09:00 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRook
I mainly want to use it for square cutting hardwood ply after I saw cut it . I have read that the dremel router
table is not a well made product , any problems with it?
The main thing is just don't expect it to be something that it is not. With a dremel router table you are clamping a plastic bodied tool into a fixture. If you push it, it's going to flex. A problem is that advertising tends to present tools as being more capable than is practical. Yes, you can shape a one inch think plank of seasoned ash with a dremel tool but you probably aren't going to be that happy about it. On the other hand, if you take it easy, truing up plywood up to 1/4 inch is probably pretty doable.