Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the Top Flite Kits at Tower Hobbies?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What happened to all the Top Flite Kits at Tower Hobbies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 02:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And that's a major part of the problem. Corporate America looks at how to make the biggest profit while spending the least amount of money to do so.
What really drives me crazy is what I run into at work. Grown men have been hired to build aircraft and, sadly, they can't think for themselves. I've lost track of all the times I've been asked "So, what are you looking for?" or "So, what do you want me to do next?", considering I tell them to READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and YOUR WORK MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE SPECification manuals. It's really sad that I wouldn't trust a majority of them to help me build a plastic model airplane that requires paint and glue as most can't understand the pictures in the instructions or how the paint color locations are indicated. Do we really want people with that kind of mental abilities flying an R/C ANYTHING? You wouldn't dare talk about setting end stops, adjusting servo speeds or expo as those are concepts that are beyond the average person now days. It really worries me that society has gotten so stupid and I can only blame it on "smart phones" and technology as those coming out of school, regardless of it being high school or college, don't know how to think for themselves any more

As to the first part of this post you are 100% correct. When I was doing all the purchasing for a hobby shop both GP and Horizon were operated by people who knew the hobby. At some point that changed and both places started being run like huge corporations. There just isn't enough profit margins for that to happen. GP found out the hard way, unfortunately it appears that Horizon didn't learn the lesson.

Im at a loss as to what the second part of your post has to do with this thread. That being said, I have seen the same thing that you describe. Problem is though that it starts with upper management and works it's way down. HR is hiring guys without them meeting minimum requirements for the job. Then they are not getting the proper amount of training. Then the one thing that I have experienced a time or two, getting stuck with a supervisor that cares more about showing everyone who's the boss then he does about the success of his department. A good supervisor gives his guys the tools required for them to be successful. That could mean some additional training, allowing the employee to take some ownership of his position and allow the department to function as a team. He will also take notice of employees strengths and use them to benifit the team. Point out their successes, allow them to build confidence and they will never let you down.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The second part, unfortunately, shows why the kits have disappeared. People are getting so dependent on their smart phones and internet that they can't think for themselves and anything they can't find online just can't be done. When you really look at it, the R/C aircraft kits disappearing started about the same time the internet really became part of our lives and smart phones became the must have at all times item a majority of the population depends on for pretty much everything. You want to know something, you go to the internet and that means smart phones for well over 90% of the population. After the "need to know" is over, you forget everything, You want to see an example of this, watch the first episode of season three of the original Star Trek series, "Spock's Brain". It graphically shows where our society is headed if things don't change and people don't start using their brain as more than a short term memory device
Old 04-26-2020, 03:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

I just got a serious laugh. Horizon didn't buy several of the product lines when they took over Tower and it's parent company. Now, somewhat disgustingly, they are trying to use the coronavirus pandemic to boost sales. I just saw this on YouTube, with the tagline "Are your going Stircrazy" before a video I wanted to watch:

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-26-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:51 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, smartphones are the culprit!
I could be busy building toy airplanes instead of getting information and reading stuff posted in here (one not to be confused with the other).
Old 04-26-2020, 04:26 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The second part, unfortunately, shows why the kits have disappeared. People are getting so dependent on their smart phones and internet that they can't think for themselves and anything they can't find online just can't be done. When you really look at it, the R/C aircraft kits disappearing started about the same time the internet really became part of our lives and smart phones became the must have at all times item a majority of the population depends on for pretty much everything. You want to know something, you go to the internet and that means smart phones for well over 90% of the population. After the "need to know" is over, you forget everything, You want to see an example of this, watch the first episode of season three of the original Star Trek series, "Spock's Brain". It graphically shows where our society is headed if things don't change and people don't start using their brain as more than a short term memory device

I guess I can agree to a fair amount of that. I must have seen that episode at least 6 times. I place a large amount of blame on internet sales. Buying something online is just not the same as walking into a hobby shop and fondling an item before buying it. The hobby shops supply a level of enthusiasm that can't be had online. The other thing to consider is that the industry pushed ARFs on us. Think about it, would you like to make 30% on a $100 kit or 30% on a $300 ARF? Add in that on average we have much less recreation time and fathers/husbands are more hands on and more involved with running the house then we were in the '50s and '60s. There are many reasons for the decline in our hobbies popularity, it is past its heyday but it will survive and we will have to adapt to conform to whatever the future brings.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by airsteve172
Yup, smartphones are the culprit!
I could be busy building toy airplanes instead of getting information and reading stuff posted in here (one not to be confused with the other).
But better still, you could be doing both. Unfortunately, most don't know how to do that. Most are so busy following Twitter and Facebook that everything else ceases to exist. I have two coworkers that, if it wasn't for people showing up in our work areas, can spend a whole shift on Facebook and "HEAVEN HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!" if I interrupt their checking in with "Facebook Friends"
Old 04-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I guess I can agree to a fair amount of that. I must have seen that episode at least 6 times. I place a large amount of blame on internet sales. Buying something online is just not the same as walking into a hobby shop and fondling an item before buying it. The hobby shops supply a level of enthusiasm that can't be had online. The other thing to consider is that the industry pushed ARFs on us. Think about it, would you like to make 30% on a $100 kit or 30% on a $300 ARF? Add in that on average we have much less recreation time and fathers/husbands are more hands on and more involved with running the house then we were in the '50s and '60s. There are many reasons for the decline in our hobbies popularity, it is past its heyday but it will survive and we will have to adapt to conform to whatever the future brings.
WOW!! WE AGREE ON SOMETHING!!!!! Unless I'm wrong, that's the second time that's happened
Old 04-26-2020, 04:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

You know, I'm not such a bad guy and I don't think you are either. If we both keep an open mind I think we would both be surprised how many things we can agree on.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking for myself, the only reason I'd be inclined to BUILD a model is because what is offered in the marketplace in the form of ARFs simply doesn't satisfy me aesthetically. I also like scale model cars (not necessarily RC) and happily there are both kits and finished, beautifully made diecast models. If I could find a quality readymade model of a subject that interests me, damned right, I'd buy that instead of building it! At the same time, I will admit that I also enjoy building or at least enjoy the pride of accomplishment.

Airplane models became popular in step with the new technology (at the time) of aviation. The mystique of flight could be captured by the average individual in miniature form. As aviation became more common, models gained an additional mystique as it became possible to fly a model by remote control. At the time, this was absolutely magic to have the control of a flying aircraft at one's fingertips when wirelessly controlling anything was virtually unheard of. As technology developed, what was once magic became as mundane as unlocking a car or opening a garage door.

With the advancement of computers and the internet, is it any wonder that having the world at your fingertips may be more fascinating than flying a model by remote control, let alone going through the trouble of building one?

Last edited by airsteve172; 04-26-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM
jdolomount

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too love to build my aircraft from a kit or from scratch.It's my favorite way to acquire new aircraft. That said, I have a few ARF's as well. When I do decide to go with an airframe that isn't available in ARF format, it sure is great to be able to purchase the supplies needed to do so. The hobby has changed and continues to do so, for better and worse.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:50 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can still buy modest sized balsa and ply kits and short kits for electric powered RC from Manzano Laser Works and Brodak and a fair amount of out of production kits on Ebay and club flea market events. You can download plans and instructions from Outerzone and have them enlarged to any size desired for scratch building. You can order Cleveland plans and build beautiful scale models, in various scales. if you have the building skills to use them as the basis of builds. You can search out sources of balsa and play, covering materials paints and adhesives, fasteners and accessory items. IC Engines new and used are still available although fuel is quite expensive now and sources are fewer. You can search classified sections on RCU and RCG to find a lot of what you might want. It seems that large IC model flyers are now sourcing ARF models more than building.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:15 AM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

That is all True of course I have been doing scratch or from plans mostly too. I love to build from a drawing a see it come together to become a thing of beauty I can be proud to take to and flying field. I guess that is why i have several hanger queens now but that`s ok with me. There is something about an airplane that gets my goat, an unknown thing to me it just does, Even at over 60 I look skyward if a plane fly's over like a little kid , ha ha

Last edited by chip_MG; 08-09-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:05 AM
Centurion13

Originally Posted by mashp39
When I go to the flying field all I see are 60 + years old. At the meeting all that are there are 60 + years old. That is why the hobby is going {flying} away.
At the risk of a necrothread, I submit that our hobby is dying because (1) its members are dying and (2) we tried and failed to pass on the love of the hobby. The first is the way of all flesh. The second is... well, we tried to pass on our values and pastimes. While we were doing this, the world changed. Not in the fundamentals, but enough that our messages didn't necessarily hold. What we're celebrating this month is a perfect example. So yes, the hobby is dying. Enjoy it while it (and you) live and do your best to be kind to those who don't quite get it.