Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sport cub s not turning properly

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sport cub s not turning properly

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:10 PM
brendon7358

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport cub s not turning properly

Hello,

My sport cub s is not turning properly. When I turn the safe system off (expert mode) and I turn its as if the rudder is turning in the opposite direction (I am not using any rudder) and fighting my turn so much that it seems to turn the opposite direction sometimes. I checked all the control surfaces and they are going the correct direction. I'm fairly sure it's not a trim issue because it does it in both directions.and it's flown fine previously. I think as3x is messed up or something. It flies fine in beginner mode though.

Some preface: I have flown this plane a lot before and it flew fine so its not me. The last time I flew it was with my wife and we used two controllers (buddy box) however she ended up crashing nose first into the ground. The only damage was the engine mount which I re-glued and all was good to go. This was my first flight since and it was just me.

Any ideas? I have flown other planes with no issues (umx Trojan, apprentice mini, Cherokee) so it isn't just me. It really seems like the rudder is going the opposite direction (there is no mixing and it doesn't do anything strange on the ground)

Thanks!

Last edited by brendon7358; 09-20-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

It sounds like it either has no aileron differential or maybe even reverse differential. Without differential the aileron moving downward creates more drag then the aileron moving upward. The result is a yaw opposite direction of applied aileron. The Safe system was automatically putting in a rudder command to counteract this.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 AM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is adverse yaw. You need to use rudder along with aileron with a Cub. I believe it was Garry Yarrish inModel Airplane News who did an excellent article on this a few years ago. He explained why this happens with planes like a Piper Cub
Old 09-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAirBob
Yes, it is adverse yaw. You need to use rudder along with aileron with a Cub. I believe it was Garry Yarrish inModel Airplane News who did an excellent article on this a few years ago. He explained why this happens with planes like a Piper Cub
This is a Sport Cub, though, which isn't much like a real Cub. They usually fly OK without rudder. Seems like some sort of crash damage, from what he says, though I can't think of anything that would have that effect.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
What size?