Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

hot melt glue ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hot melt glue ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:44 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hot melt glue ?

does anybody use hot melt glue to build their air frames ?. I know my buddy's dad used it 40+ years ago, but back then,.... I thought it was sort of "chinsy" and not very reliable as a glue for general construction. that said,.... I don't remember him ever having any failures because of it. I do think it would be easy to build heavy using it, especially if you weren't careful with how much you applied to every join, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't or shouldn't be used. I don't know whether it was "his idea" back then, or weather it was something he learned from other builders, or read about in "Flying Models" magazine, back then, but he was a pretty accomplished and well informed builder. at that time,... he was the only person I knew of using it,...... has it become more popular for balsa construction ?.

Last edited by r ward; 10-30-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relatively low joint strength compared to Titebond or Hysol.

Some ARFS are built with glue guns which is why they can come apart in the air like my OMP Yak 55.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:49 AM
r ward

sure would be nice to post a question on this forum and actually get a reply that answers the question.........I can't recall asking anyone's opinion about hot melt glue
this forum gets less attractive every day , lately.....if it weren't for only a couple sub categories, I wouldn't bother .
people have said I ask questions and then complain about the answers,.....well,....this is why.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Your post remained idle for two days which IMO is an indication that hot melt is not used. The one guy who did answer is correct in stating that it is a poor choice for our application and gives a good example.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:02 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensitive

does anyone use hot glue.....that is a question......you were given answers.....I think you need to talk to the guy you see in the mirror about his attitude...,,by the way if you wish to go somewhere else and look for answers we’ll have a great. Day
Old 11-01-2018, 05:01 AM
r ward

please show me where I asked anything about it's strength as a glue for our application, or where I asked about it being a good choice or not. I think those who answered and/or accused me of having a bad attitude need a lesson in grade school reading comprehension .
the last eight words of my original post is the only question asked and there is no mention about strength or suitability in it, is there.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:21 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r ward
please show me where I asked anything about it's strength as a glue for our application, or where I asked about it being a good choice or not. I think those who answered and/or accused me of having a bad attitude need a lesson in grade school reading comprehension .
the last eight words of my original post is the only question asked and there is no mention about strength or suitability in it, is there.
Nobody has come on to say they use a hot melt glue gun to build balsa airframes. Perhaps from that one can extrapolate that it is not a popular glue to build with. .
Old 11-01-2018, 08:10 AM
speedracerntrixie

That’s the issue with these forums at times . All too often guys come in to simply have their ideas confirmed and not to receive sound advice gained through experience. There is only one correct answer and that is the one they want to hear. The OPs response undoubtedly would have been very different if we had lied and told him what a great idea hot melt is and it has tons of strength. Problem with bad advise on our hobby is that it could lead to someone getting injured. A much more valuable topic would have been what different adhesives we use for what application and why.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:18 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't use hot-melt glue for model building. I have a hot melt gun, and a large bag of glue sticks, which I use for many other projects, but not models.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 AM
speedracerntrixie

Greg, hot melt actually works pretty well to secure a plug to a splitter plate.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't use hot glue on my planes BECAUSE it's low joint strength makes it a poor choice.

Scott
Old 11-01-2018, 08:16 PM
GREG DOE

Speedracerntrixie, Instead or a split plug, I use a "shadow box" which is a silhouette of the part. My parting plate is centered on the plug, and then clay (from the back side) is used to hold it in place. After the first mold half has been made, the parting plate is removed, and the second mold half is made on the first. I'm sure you are familiar with this process, so I will continue to look for applications for hot melt, but not on my models.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:48 AM
speedracerntrixie

Greg, we are on the same page.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:30 PM
GREG DOE

That's a good looking plug.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys, I think it's time to stop feeding the troll.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:24 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Guys, I think it's time to stop feeding the troll.
I've been thinking the same thing after reading some of his other posts.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 PM
GREG DOE

But it's so much FUN! Over and out.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:25 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r ward
You need to re-read your OP. First line: "does anybody use hot melt glue to build their air frames ?" That alone suggests the questions of "is it strong enough?" and "is it a good choice?" for our models?

Now to answer your question, DO NOT USE HOT MELT GLUE! It's OK for crafts but lacks the strength to put up with flight loads.

Stick with a quality wood glue like Elmers Carpenters and with Epoxy. I have several Proctor kits ranging up to 40 years old that have yet to snap a glue joint from normal use. All Elmers and a bit of epoxy.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:27 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
You need to re-read your OP. First line: "does anybody use hot melt glue to build their air frames ?" That alone suggests the questions of "is it strong enough?" and "is it a good choice?" for our models?

Now to answer your question, DO NOT USE HOT MELT GLUE! It's OK for crafts but lacks the strength to put up with flight loads.

Stick with a quality wood glue like Elmers Carpenters and with Epoxy. I have several Proctor kits ranging up to 40 years old that have yet to snap a glue joint from normal use. All Elmers and a bit of epoxy.
Exactly right. The OP talks about whether hot glue is reliable and whether it's heavy, then asks if it's become popular. Any sensible person reading his post would naturally think he was wondering if it was something worth using. Then he gets ticked off when people talk about that very thing. If he wasn't interested in how good it was, why ask the question? Just idle curiosity? It seems to me that if you stick to the exact literal question he now claims to have asked, it would be absurd to expect anyone to know the answer. Does he think someone here has done a survey to see whether hot glue use has increased or decreased over the years?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

This thread may explain things a bit.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12475887

I suggest everyone just cross the bridge and ignore him.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Exactly right. The OP talks about whether hot glue is reliable and whether it's heavy, then asks if it's become popular. Any sensible person reading his post would naturally think he was wondering if it was something worth using. Then he gets ticked off when people talk about that very thing. If he wasn't interested in how good it was, why ask the question? Just idle curiosity? It seems to me that if you stick to the exact literal question he now claims to have asked, it would be absurd to expect anyone to know the answer. Does he think someone here has done a survey to see whether hot glue use has increased or decreased over the years?
Post 15 explains it all.

Some in these forums like to make absurd statements and then defend them to the bitter end, as seen in this thread. Sounds like a troll to me.