Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba Radio conversion

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba Radio conversion

Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM
flyzone13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Radio conversion

I have been out of the hobby for sometime now and I know that the radios and such have all moved to the 2.4 systems. My quick question is, can someone point me in the right direction to convert my 9c radio into a 2.4 rated system. Or, would it be cheaper/better to just go with a new set-up?
Old 12-22-2018, 10:56 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to stop you flying on 72 m in most clubs. The peg board may have dust on it though.

HobbyKing do a Futaba conversion that comes with a receiver for 50$ ACCST protocol.

There is a 'gotcha' with 2.4 there are several different protocols which are not interchangeable. So if buying more receivers make sure you buy the right kind.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:20 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

If you want to stick with Futaba equipment,,,, The 9C would need the TM-7 or TM-8 FASST Module and FASST RXs, not too complicated,, This chart shows which Receivers work with either Module and which modules work with which TXs

(scroll down the page a bit)
https://www.futabarc.com/receivers/f...ss-compat.html

My first 2.4 radio was a 8uaf converted with a tm-7,, worked great, a good flying buddy still uses his 9C with the TM-8, this guy could well afford anew TX if he wanted, but if it works, why fix it? right?

p.s. Hitec made a module too, I can't speak to those

good luck

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 12-23-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:06 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Whether to convert or buy new is a complicated question. You're going to be buying all new receivers obviously, so it's a significant investment either way. The difference is really just whether you'll buy a module or buy a transmitter.
I'd urge you to consider the features of the new radios and decide if you want them or not. Telemetry is fairly standard now in everything but entry level radios, which is incredibly handy sometimes. Then there is the development of the software with flight modes and assignable channels that reduce the workload on the pilot. Then, of course, there is the "new" factor. You'll be getting a transmitter with no wear on it that will probably give you more service life than your old one will.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:24 AM
scale only 4 me

I'll add this,, I recent bought a 14sg, sold it and stuck with my 10cag because I didn't want to have to re learn the programming menus and formats,, sticking with what you're familiar with isn't all that bad either,, Some day I'll "have to" upgrade or maybe want all the bells and whistles,, that day just isn't here yet

good luck
Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck finding 2.4 conversion modules for anything these days, Futaba or Spektrum compatible.. If you do, you better buy a lottery ticket as it's a lucky day. I think FrSky, or Taranis still sells a conversion for the Futaba's, but it's only compatible with their receivers and equipment.

As mentioned there's not a thing wrong with 72mhz., especially if you're out in the open country. Definitely nothing wrong with a Futaba 9C either. I bought my 9CAP new when it came on the market back in about 2001. It's a rock solid radio. I still use mine occasionally and it's flawless. It was seriously ahead of it's time.

I did move up to a 2.4 Spektrum DX18, but the biggest reason was telemetry, as well as resolution and more channel options for mixing and such. it wasn't necessarily about signal performance.

What I did with my 9C a while back was bought a synthesized transmitter module, (still 72mhz of course), so I can change it to any channel on the 72mhz frequency with a small screw-driver.
At this point in the game, 72mhz receivers are cheap cheap..... most used receivers come with crystals, and with my synth module I can use any 72mhz receiver that's Futaba compatible. Really I use it for kickin around my sport planes with, and it all works fine. So there's an idea for you. If you keep your eyes out, the synthesized modules run about $50 or so.

There's a chance you might find a conversion module, and that's fine too... Then you could use either one by simply swapping them out. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by DGrant; 12-25-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with Radio South . They will treat ya right . Red
Old 12-29-2018, 01:17 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by DGrant
Good luck finding 2.4 conversion modules for anything these days, Futaba or Spektrum compatible..
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Good luck with your search.
They pop up on ebay and the various classifieds all the time

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-TM-7...Crx9:rk:3:pf:0
Old 12-29-2018, 02:03 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said in post 2 Hobbyking are selling and have in stock a 2.4 module that comes with a receiver

for 45$

Cheap as chips extra receivers start at 11$
Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Like I said in post 2 Hobbyking are selling and have in stock a 2.4 module that comes with a receiver

for 45$

Cheap as chips extra receivers start at 11$
I mentioned the FrSky modules in post #6, and that they're only compatible with FrSky receivers. Not a bad deal for converting a Futaba 9C and getting back into the hobby. What I was trying to mainly convey and it didn't really come out very good, is it's hard to find a Futaba 2.4 conversion module that's compatible with Futaba receivers, and it's near impossible to find a Spektrum module that will convert a Futaba over to Spektrum 2.4. You probably wouldn't even want that these days though.. so..

Frankly I would still fly it with 72mhz though, or buy a new transmitter. That's exactly what I did too, and still use my Futaba 9C on 72mhz for my older stuff. That's just me though, I'm on getting back into the hobby... I've been in it for a long time. I do agree though someone getting back in might do well with the FrSky module.

Last edited by DGrant; 12-30-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:39 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm with Dgrant on this one. If you want to keep the old radio then just use it. It's not like 72 suddenly quit working just because something new came out. If you later decide you want something different, spend your money then.