Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Laser cutters for wing parts and leading and trailing edge shaped balsa

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Laser cutters for wing parts and leading and trailing edge shaped balsa

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 PM
dreddbatfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Laser cutters for wing parts and leading and trailing edge shaped balsa

I need to know of a laser cutting company for some wing parts that I need.I was dealing with Camden Custom Cutters in South Carolina but I can't seem to find their website anymore,the link that I have on my computer isn't working.Are they still in business?I also need help finding some leading and trailing edge shaped balsa.I need some 25/32" x 11/32" leading edge and 11/16" x 3/8" trailing edge,does anyone know where I can get some?Thanks for any help that you can give me,I really appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 PM
b_gradinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called sandpaper and elbow grease.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:49 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a razor plane, one that uses the heavy duty razor blade eg Metal Razor Plane

Make a profile template and get some rectangular stock.

Start planing. 5 to 10 minutes will turn the blank into the desired shape.

Don't bother sanding till the wing is done.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreddbatfan
I need to know of a laser cutting company for some wing parts that I need.I was dealing with Camden Custom Cutters in South Carolina but I can't seem to find their website anymore,the link that I have on my computer isn't working.Are they still in business?I also need help finding some leading and trailing edge shaped balsa.I need some 25/32" x 11/32" leading edge and 11/16" x 3/8" trailing edge,does anyone know where I can get some?Thanks for any help that you can give me,I really appreciate it.
Roger shut down his website as it was out of date and he didn't have the time to redo it. Attached quote below from an email from him in 2017.

His email is: [email protected]

Originally Posted by CamdenCustomCutters

Yep, all is well down here in sunny (but very wet) South Carolina. We are
still cutting kits and we're still with a backlog. Our plans inventory has
increased to well over 250 plans sets - of course we haven't made all of
them but they are vectorized and we do have the capability. The website was
costing too much and was over three years badly out-of-date. I couldn't
take time to update it so I killed it about 4 months ago. I didn't like the
way kits were listed anyway. Most of the business comes from
"word-of-mouth" or advertisements in places like the GSWA Journal. If you
would like to see our plans listing, I'll send a copy by email.

Roger Marshall
Camden Custom Cutters
As far as the balsa, you can try Sig, National Balsa, BalsaUSA etc for that. IIRC, the 3/8 trailing edge much wider than 11/16", might just have to rip some yourself.

Last edited by Hemikiller; 03-01-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:23 AM
dreddbatfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed Roger and I still haven't heard from him,I'm hoping he can help and he's still cutting parts.As for the leading and trailing edge pieces,it's hard for me to do the parts myself because of my Rhuematoid Arthritis in my hands and body it hurts to do these type of things.That's why I buy kit planes because all the parts are already done.It's too bad that they don't make a wing kit for my plane.If anyone could make these pieces for me I'd be willing to pay for them.Thanks for anymore help that you can give me.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:28 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dred:

I have been building strictly from plans for decades. Not sure about your experience level, maybe you have been building even longer. However, sounds like oddball sizes for leading and trailing edges. What plane are you looking to build? Can you modify the ribs to accept standard sizes of leading/trailing edges? Are you sure the plans are accurate and the sizes you stated are indeed what you need?

Plans are usually loaded with errors. I used to think I was bad at building till I figured out most of the plans were wrong.

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-07-2019 at 09:32 PM.