Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mounting a Saito 170r3 onto a PT-17

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mounting a Saito 170r3 onto a PT-17

Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 AM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a Saito 170r3 onto a PT-17

I’m trying to mount a Saito 170r3 onto a great planes PT-17. The problem is the mounting tabs on the engine are very close to the fuse side stringers where they mount to the firewall. It’s not possible to get T nuts in this area. The options I came up with are to make an adapter plate out of inch plywood or aluminum and use the mounting holes closer in that were used for a different engine. These holes have T nuts in them. The problem with a plywood one is the tabs that the engine would mount to would only be about 1/2x1/2 inch and I’m not sure they would hold up. The issue with the aluminum plate is weight. I guess I could put holes in it to reduce the weight. The other option is to put brass threaded inserts in the firewall then bolt the engine to them, just not sure how strong they are.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-22-2019, 02:46 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

No on the inserts, would never use these on a critical area,,

I don't see the problem,, maybe a picture of the back side of the firewall would help me see why trimming isn't possible
Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Rotate the engine a bit?
Old 07-26-2019, 05:35 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree on the brass inserts. I have used them for many years mounting engines on firewalls and have never had a failure. Used many times on large scale retract mounting and many other applications. Much preferred over T-nuts, in my opinion
Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM
smkrcflyer

Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
I disagree on the brass inserts. I have used them for many years mounting engines on firewalls and have never had a failure. Used many times on large scale retract mounting and many other applications. Much preferred over T-nuts, in my opinion
That's good to know. I haven't found another way to mount it yet.