Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Borescope?

Old 07-25-2019, 11:28 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borescope?

I'm working on this plane: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?I=LXETVD&P=ML

I've been having some difficulties balancing it. Sometimes the model balances on the CG and sometimes it doesn't. I suspect that the manufacture may have left something in the tail. I don't currently own a borescope. And I've never used one. That is why I'm asking what borescope should I buy? Do any of you own one? If so what did you buy and how well did it work for you?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:39 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Gregory;

I don’t mean to insult you with these questions. Are you balancing the airplane inverted? If not, do you understand that if you are balancing up right, the tail needs to be off of the ground. The wing chord needs to be parallel to the ground, then balance. You are probably balancing a couple different ways and that is the reason for the inconsistency.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:50 PM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Gregory;

I don’t mean to insult you with these questions. Are you balancing the airplane inverted? If not, do you understand that if you are balancing up right, the tail needs to be off of the ground. The wing chord needs to be parallel to the ground, then balance. You are probably balancing a couple different ways and that is the reason for the inconsistency.
This is not my first low wing model. I always balance low wing models upside down. It's on a balancer exactly on the same place every time. If I shake the model to the front it balances. If I shake the model to the rear it becomes tail heavy.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:53 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Search- endoscope on Amazon. I bought one that I can see on my phone. It does help, and what I like is being able to take pictures too. I’ve used it to look inside my wings and different areas. Worth the money, which isn’t much.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:56 PM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Search- endoscope on Amazon. I bought one that I can see on my phone. It does help, and what I like is being able to take pictures too. I’ve used it to look inside my wings and different areas. Worth the money, which isn’t much.
I don't own a smartphone. I want one that has the viewer already attached, or something that I can attach to my laptop.

Amazon Search: Endoscope

Last edited by gregoryshock; 07-25-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your plane to a local mechanic and ask him to use his borescope in the plane to see if there is something loose in there. The borescope is used to look into engine cylinders etc. for problems . A mechanic would probably get a kick out of using his for something like this. Red
Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 AM
allanflowers

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Just a thought. If there is something in there moving around, you may have to cut a hole anyway to deal with it. You could just pick a place where it is easy to patch and go for it.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Forgive me but if you simply shake the fuselage (forget the balancer) can you feel anything move or hear any noise? Another point is if you think the CG is changing Then how much does it change?

I enjoyed my Sig STA for many years but do remember balancing inverted was a bit tricky simply because the landing wires and the fuselage jury struts were always right where ya always wanted the balance pins and that combined with the curvature of the airfoil right there made subtle shifting of the points always a pain for accuracy. In the end It was easy to resort to good old fingertips.

John
Old 07-29-2019, 01:23 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Balance pins??? I use my fingers to balance all my planes! And balance them right side up every time. Do not complicate things that don't have to be complicated!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I said "easy to resort to good old fingertips"!

John